Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AutoIreland Magazine October 1980 new car pricelist

Options
  • 31-01-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Came across this mag today whilst rummaging through old car magazines..

1_zpsjpb7fxpc.jpg

29_zpsoqmp8ccg.jpg

30_zpsvydhngu0.jpg

31_zpspq9lhj4f.jpg

May convert the mag to pdf and upload if of interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for that. It would be nice to see the rest of it if you get a chance to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

thanks for that.

Very nice Renault 5 write up also ...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Frank Dillon (pictured on page 31) was a cousin of mine. Co-incidentally he died 3 years ago to the day RIP a lovely guy. He always drove the very best of what Ford had to offer and never more than 6 months old as far as I remember.

So if you guys could pick any car in new condition out of this list, what which one would you choose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Daimler Sovereign 4.2.

No merc s class listed. It also strikes me that there seems to be a marginally bigger price premium for bmw and merc on the list. They have of course become a lot more common in Ireland since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Toyota Crown. Monster car.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I'll take one Toyota Celica 2000GT please

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

I am leaning towards the Datsun 280ZX myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Alfasud 1.5ti please although even new it would probably have started rusting already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny, was talking about this with the in-laws just the other day - the father-in-law said his first brand new car was a Cortina he bought in the late 70's for 4,999. Not a bad memory on him at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

seamus wrote: »
    Funny, was talking about this with the in-laws just the other day - the father-in-law said his first brand new car was a Cortina he bought in the late 70's for 4,999. Not a bad memory on him at all :D

I also have a memory that my dad bought a 1980 Toyota Carina 5-Speed (the reg was 545 EZI) in Carroll & Kinsella in Blackrock, and handed over a cheque for £5,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And to put that 5 grand into perspective, a decent brand new semi-detached house in Lucan in '75 was about 10 grand. Cars were very expensive back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

unkel wrote: »
    And to put that 5 grand into perspective, a decent brand new semi-detached house in Lucan in '75 was about 10 grand. Cars were very expensive back then!

£5000 back then adjusts to approx €23000 today which isn't far off current car prices in the same segments. House prices have got ridiculous.
    Assuming this is accurate
    http://www.hargaden.com/enda/inflation/calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

£5000 back then adjusts to approx €23000 today which isn't far off current car prices in the same segments. House prices have got ridiculous.
    Assuming this is accurate
    http://www.hargaden.com/enda/inflation/calculator.html

Spot on!
    Someone somewhere today is holding the general populace over a barrel when it comes to housing:(

Was the Datsun Skyline the same as the 240k, I don't remember a Skyline badge on them?

Advertisement