Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Apartment in Ashtown

Options
  • 31-01-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,

I am thinking about buying a 2 bed apartment in one of the apt blocks in Ashtown. Don't know a whole lot about the area apart from it's got good transport links to city centre and with the plans to extend the luas up to boomsbridge it seems like a good place to buy. I would be planning to live in the apartment myself and maybe rent it out in 5-6 yrs time when I would move to a house (all going well)

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? Many good Shops cafe's restaurants bars etc (I am 27 year old professional living with my girlfriend?) Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

It looks a nice alright . and like you said the train station is there but you walk across the pedestrian crossing you are a few minutes from the halfway house pub which is a good pub atmosphere good food etc and you can get the bus up to blanchardstown centre, 39a will have you there in about 10 minutes about.

As for rathbourne where the apartments are, you have a SuperValu express that stays open fairly late every night, you also have a pub, restaurant and a gym amongst others. A good spot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cunnerz21

thomasj wrote: »
    It looks a nice alright . and like you said the train station is there but you walk across the pedestrian crossing you are a few minutes from the halfway house pub which is a good pub atmosphere good food etc and you can get the bus up to blanchardstown centre, 39a will have you there in about 10 minutes about.

As for rathbourne where the apartments are, you have a SuperValu express that stays open fairly late every night, you also have a pub, restaurant and a gym amongst others. A good spot really.

Sounds good.. thanks thomasj!!

Anyone know anything about the quality of the apartment blocks up there? Any horror stories about poor standard of construction etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Have never heard any bad reports about the builds in Rathborne, any I know there is happy with them. It's a great spot to live, lots of amenities on your doorstep.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Have never heard any bad reports about the builds in Rathborne, any I know there is happy with them. It's a great spot to live, lots of amenities on your doorstep.

Thanks Gaspode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluewater09

we lived in Ashtown for over 4 year b4 moving to our place. Extremely nice place to live. Safe, convenient, close to town, creche, shops, and the walk path along the canal is bonus. For apt. choices, if you plan to buy anywhere near to Supervalue, it's likely to be more expensive but apts over there seems having no problem with condensation. Apts. near Centra seem have some issues with condensation, our maintenance guy said to me that was because the window frame made of metal instead of wooden, maybe keep in mind when looking for apt there to see any mould, or leaks. We didn't find it too bad as the landlord did a good ventilation fan in the apt.
    All and all, Ashtown would be a highly recommended place to live and it's in its hype for rent at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

nice park there too, a couple of nice restaurants and a few nice pubs nearby, Pheonix park also nearby, train and commuter routes nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Not sure about Rathbourne but I would advise against Royal Canal Park/Watermint court. Currently renting there and the apartments are nice, not too pokey have a shop, gym, hairdresser etc and a good bus service to town with the train station 10 minutes away... All sounds great but if I was buying instead of just renting (and with a good price on rent) I would definitley leave - storage heating is awful, hot water supply not great, there is a damp/mould problem is lots of apartments because the heating and ventilation is so bad. We had to completely demould one room two months after moving in, apartment was painted before we moved in so assuming it was an attempt to cover the problem. The mgmt company are fine, people in there are nice but they do 'refurbish' common areas once a year which is to cover mould and damp stains - its happening in my block at the moment. If you want the place to be warm over the winter would definitely go for an apartment without storage heating, like I said not sure about Rathbourne they seem a lot nicer but wouldn't buy in RCP. Also look at wifi and TV providers before you buy, lots of them are limited to Eircom or cablewatch so no real selection Sky TV not available in most apartments around ashtown as far as I know (definitely not available in RCP)

Laura_A wrote: »
    Not sure about Rathbourne but I would advise against Royal Canal Park/Watermint court. Currently renting there and the apartments are nice, not too pokey have a shop, gym, hairdresser etc and a good bus service to town with the train station 10 minutes away... All sounds great but if I was buying instead of just renting (and with a good price on rent) I would definitley leave - storage heating is awful, hot water supply not great, there is a damp/mould problem is lots of apartments because the heating and ventilation is so bad. We had to completely demould one room two months after moving in, apartment was painted before we moved in so assuming it was an attempt to cover the problem. The mgmt company are fine, people in there are nice but they do 'refurbish' common areas once a year which is to cover mould and damp stains - its happening in my block at the moment. If you want the place to be warm over the winter would definitely go for an apartment without storage heating, like I said not sure about Rathbourne they seem a lot nicer but wouldn't buy in RCP. Also look at wifi and TV providers before you buy, lots of them are limited to Eircom or cablewatch so no real selection Sky TV not available in most apartments around ashtown as far as I know (definitely not available in RCP)

Thanks Laura- great advice... Went to view a place in RCP last weekend and pretty much decided against that whole development. I am going to look at a few places in Rathbourne and in the newer building where the shops/cafe is as they look nicer... Appreciate the advice though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The Royal canal park apartment also have the minor downside of being quite ugly to look at from the outside, very industrial looking (IMO)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I've lived there for a few years and it's great. Only small downsides I can think of are the train gates can be slightly annoying and if you have more than one car then you'll face parking issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I live there and it's a great place to live. Handy to have the basics within walking distance, be on the train and handy for buses etc.

Take a good look at the development plan for the area and the two planning applications currently in progress.

One is 3069/14 currently being built as the new houses at Royal Canal Park.
    The other is 3666/15 at the Ashtown end which I'd guess will go on site next year.

The empty bit near the crescent shaped park is also likely to be infilled with development at some point in the nearish future.

It's all good stuff, but the current population is about 3k and that'll double with the new building with impacts on things like parking & traffic, but probably also supporting all the businesses in the area + the new school. It's good stuff to be aware of.

I'd also not dismiss the Royal Canal Park too quickly. With the new houses down that end + the new luas line fifteen minutes walk away in Broombridge I think it'll come up to the Ashtown end in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP have you looked at buying a house in D15 instead?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I was looking at buying in Ashtown a while back myself also; I spoke to a few people I know who live there and they love it. From my own experience (mostly cycling through it or passing by on the train), it seems like a safe area with a lot of young professionals.

I went for a cottage in Stoneybatter in the end though – Ashtown was just a bit too suburban and the drawbacks of apartment living after my last rental were a bit too real.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Did you end up buying in the end or still looking? I'm the same as yoursekf looking for a nice 2 bed with a bit of value.

cunnerz21 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am thinking about buying a 2 bed apartment in one of the apt blocks in Ashtown. Don't know a whole lot about the area apart from it's got good transport links to city centre and with the plans to extend the luas up to boomsbridge it seems like a good place to buy. I would be planning to live in the apartment myself and maybe rent it out in 5-6 yrs time when I would move to a house (all going well)

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? Many good Shops cafe's restaurants bars etc (I am 27 year old professional living with my girlfriend?) Any advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ifaour

@CFC007 same question to you, did you end up buying in that area? I'm really torn between a 3-bed house in areas like clongriffin or an apartment in Ashtown area which seems more accessible to city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Still looking getting a bit fed up with the lack of development going on. I was interested in the New Priory redevelopment but missed out as was out of the country. Trying to keep my ear to the ground now for new launches in 2017.
    ifaour wrote: »
    @CFC007 same question to you, did you end up buying in that area? I'm really torn between a 3-bed house in areas like clongriffin or an apartment in Ashtown area which seems more accessible to city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

I live in The Waxworks, great place. Quiet and relaxed feel around the area and very well serviced. Train Station is a great benefit and the Supervalu is top class. Canal bar is brilliant too, lovely grub!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi eveyone, I might have the possibility about moving to The Chandler Building in Ashtown, but haven't been able to find any up-to-date information on it.

Any advice or personal experience?

I have noticed that the apartment building is very close to the ashtown train station, it would be very noisy?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The Chandler is nice, especially if you get an apartment that overlooks the roof-garden at the back. You can hear the train, but you don't really notice it anymore after a week or two.

Advertisement