Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Wogan has died aged 77

Options
  • 31-01-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news from the BBC.

77 after a battle with cancer.

A broadcasting legend.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sad news :(

A true broadcasting legend

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sad. Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Very sad news. He was a giant on TV and Radio and he seemed like a very decent friendly man too. RIP.

He was a very popular presenter on RTE in the early days before he started work in England (juggling both jobs at one point). He used natural charm and wit to win over the UK audiences for generations. I read one of his autobiographies a while back, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I would have become familiar with Terry Wogan from his television work, but I did hear him very occasionally on BBC Radio 2. I also heard him on Century Radio on Saturday mornings - must have been 1990. Whenever I did hear him on radio, he was entertaining and easy on the ear and he did it so effortlessly.

Terry was a natural and, undoubtedly, one of the greats in broadcasting. I have fond memories of him with his own chat show on BBC1, presenting Blankety Blank and his Eurovision Song Contest coverage.

He is a sad loss not just for those reasons, but also because he was a lovely person. R.I.P. Terry Wogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One of the alltime greats of broadcasting. His natural warmth always came across, he was never rude or edgy with his guests and was just as good on TV as radio.

I watched his series "Wogan's Ireland" again last year. You could see he still had a lot of affection for the old country and was even able to converse with children in Irish on a trip to the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

RIP Terry, another great legend gone too early :o
    Just watching a repeat of Meaning Of Life With Gay Byrne

I couldn't believe it when someone told me that earlier on today!

He'll be fondly remembered for Blankety Blank & his effortless wit when up with the likes of Spike Milligan+Frank Carson as i was watching a few to remember the mad fun they had.

I also caught the Best of Wogan recently repeated daily & was a must see when it was on 3 times a week, who had bizarre chats inc Nicholas Cage. Also chats with Robin Williams another person who went too soon as well

I didn't get to hear his radio show as he had a devoted fanbase, upto 8M, fondly called TOGS (Terry's Old Guys+Gals)

He was asked recently how many listeners he has & said he has only one, 'you'

As heard in the news, he would turn up 5m before the show unrehearsed & would just talk away to the mike, as if he was talking straight to you :)

Bye Tel.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd always watch BBC's Eurovision coverage for his commentary. Also that golfing moment of his was truly epic.

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Terry. You were a great broadcaster. You will be sorely missed from all of us at home in the old country. RIP.

Anybody here can go onto BBC 1 now to watch The One Show special for Terry Wogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,358 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Terry. You were a great broadcaster. You will be sorely missed from all of us at home in the old country. RIP.

Anybody here can go onto BBC 1 now to watch The One Show special for Terry Wogan.

Sadly, i missed that, as i just came across it here

A nice touch that, i bet, but i loved the anecdotes Jimmy Tarbuck had on Liveline today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rip. Amazing voice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

A great wit and a pillar of broadcasting.

I'm sure he'd have gotten a little kick from outlasting Bowie after "that" interview when "I thought a solid slap would have helped the situation. I didn't hit him, of course, but it came close."
    " I almost blanked him in the blankety blank the total blanking blanker"

A massive loss for many generations of listeners and future generations of children in need.

R.I.P Terry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Bit of a distasteful article in the Daily Mail where the deaths of Bowie and Wogan are placed in competition with one another.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3427418/ROBERT-HARDMAN-Wogan-touched-depths-hearts-way-Bowie-couldn-t.html

It sounds like the author was a bit miffed that Bowie snubbed the Queen's honours, whereas Wogan accepted them. Keeps calling him "Sir Terry", as if to ram home the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I didn't know him but he seemed nice and was always easy to listen to or watch. A complete natural entertainer. May he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Bit of a distasteful article in the Daily Mail where the deaths of Bowie and Wogan are placed in competition with one another.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3427418/ROBERT-HARDMAN-Wogan-touched-depths-hearts-way-Bowie-couldn-t.html

It sounds like the author was a bit miffed that Bowie snubbed the Queen's honours, whereas Wogan accepted them. Keeps calling him "Sir Terry", as if to ram home the point.

Well, that's the Daily Mail for you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;);)

Here's what Tel had to say about the dramatic nature of Celine Dion's Eurovision win in '88:

Advertisement