Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car judders after diesel fill

Options
  • 30-01-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Father got a fill of diesel in skoda octavia few weeks ago. Reckons it was a too cheap to be true price. The car stuttered a bit after so he got fuel filter changed. After a fill today I drove it and just after filling the car hesitated in second gear but fine after about half a mile. He says it's been happening after each fill for a couple of weeks now. Would it still be related to the dodgy fill (or what he thinks was dodgy)

It only stutters after a fill so he thinks it might be dirt in bottom of tank being stirred up?

Cheers
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Father got a fill of diesel in skoda octavia few weeks ago. Reckons it was a too cheap to be true price. The car stuttered a bit after so he got fuel filter changed. After a fill today I drove it and just after filling the car hesitated in second gear but fine after about half a mile. He says it's been happening after each fill for a couple of weeks now. Would it still be related to the dodgy fill (or what he thinks was dodgy)

It only stutters after a fill so he thinks it might be dirt in bottom of tank being stirred up?

Cheers
    Mick

Hi folks,
    Back with this. Local mechanic drained tank and cleaned lines but the car is still conking... He coming back to look at it tomorrow night.

Any thoughts on what it could be?
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

Hi folks,
    Back with this. Local mechanic drained tank and cleaned lines but the car is still conking... He coming back to look at it tomorrow night.

Any thoughts on what it could be?
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Is it only after a fill?
    Id be wondering if the fuel pump was in trouble, maybe drawing air at a bad connection.
    Maybe water in the system somewhere.
    Mass air flow sensor might need cleaning
    Have you seen it yourself, Could he be looking to hard for a problem (after having the original problem) and finding one when there is none?

Is the car showing any fault codes?

9935452 wrote: »
    Is it only after a fill?
    Id be wondering if the fuel pump was in trouble, maybe drawing air at a bad connection.
    Maybe water in the system somewhere.
    Mass air flow sensor might need cleaning
    Have you seen it yourself, Could he be looking to hard for a problem (after having the original problem) and finding one when there is none?

Is the car showing any fault codes?

I drove it after a fill couple of weeks ago and it shunted a little bit but after half a mile it was fine. They changed the fuel filter and didn't make much difference. No lights on. Would fuel pump be expensive?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

I drove it after a fill couple of weeks ago and it shunted a little bit but after half a mile it was fine. They changed the fuel filter and didn't make much difference. No lights on. Would fuel pump be expensive?

Cheers,
    Mick

Does it shunt any bit when started from cold . or at any other time at all
    off hand i wouldnt know the price of a fuel pump but wouldnt go changing everything for the sake of it . The fuel pump is a possibility but it would show problems at other times.
    Even though there are no lights i would get the car scanned all the same . The light doesnt need to be on to have faults stored.

9935452 wrote: »
    Does it shunt any bit when started from cold . or at any other time at all
    off hand i wouldnt know the price of a fuel pump but wouldnt go changing everything for the sake of it . The fuel pump is a possibility but it would show problems at other times.
    Even though there are no lights i would get the car scanned all the same . The light doesnt need to be on to have faults stored.

Yes mechanic has scanned it.. He has the scanning equipment.. Car is in sligo

• Advertisement

Yes mechanic has scanned it.. He has the scanning equipment.. Car is in sligo

Just to close the loop on this. Eventually turned out to be the egr valve gone. Apparently skoda are standing over replacing some of them as it's somewhat of a known issue.. They wouldn't cover my father's though and he's since traded the car for a Opel.. Cost 800 including labour to replace.. He replaced then traded.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds, thanks for coming back and giving us the resolution in case someone else has a similar issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Interesting. I fitted an EGR bypass to my Freelander recently and it's been randomly stuttery ever since. Some have better mpg and pull with it gone, others have this same scenario here.....

Advertisement