Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny course recommendations please

Options
  • 30-01-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Looking for some local knowledge if possible. Will be staying a couple of nights in Kilkenny the week after next, and hope to get a round in.
    My local course in West Cork has been closed since November! :(
    I see 2 main options, Kilkenny Golf Club and Gowran Park. I'm guessing from green fee rates on both sites that Kilkenny is far better, but recent weather may have affected one more than the other, which is why I'd appreciate any local and current views. Will be staying in the Newpark, which is pretty much next door to Kilkenny Golf Club from what I can see, but a 20 min spin to Gowran Park wouldn't put me off if its currently the better option.
    As a side note, has anyone used GolfNow? I'm getting green fee rates the same for those two courses on it, contrary to what their main websites offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

dos29 wrote: »
    Looking for some local knowledge if possible. Will be staying a couple of nights in Kilkenny the week after next, and hope to get a round in.
    My local course in West Cork has been closed since November! :(
    I see 2 main options, Kilkenny Golf Club and Gowran Park. I'm guessing from green fee rates on both sites that Kilkenny is far better, but recent weather may have affected one more than the other, which is why I'd appreciate any local and current views. Will be staying in the Newpark, which is pretty much next door to Kilkenny Golf Club from what I can see, but a 20 min spin to Gowran Park wouldn't put me off if its currently the better option.
    As a side note, has anyone used GolfNow? I'm getting green fee rates the same for those two courses on it, contrary to what their main websites offer.

Kilkenny is a vastly overpriced course.its membership and green fees are always way higher than they should,if it was a straight choice between the 2 they would be very close but I would just sway towards gowran

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Have you considered Mount Juliet?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

First Up wrote: »
    Have you considered Mount Juliet?

I hadn't but after a quick look it's probably outside my price range.

dos29 wrote:
    I hadn't but after a quick look it's probably outside my price range.

Worth checking if they have any deals. Otherwise go for Kilkenny GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dos29 wrote: »

I've used it a few times, excellent if you're flexible on times or playing midweek and look out for their hot deals. You'll get rates far cheaper than the club themselves will be able to provide. Bear in mind that there's a €1 booking fee on top of the rate advertised so keep that in mind when comparing prices.
    I think the way it works is that the clubs sell golfnow a certain amount of tee times in advance and if golfnow don't fill them they sell them off at short notice in a hot deal. Some big courses on it also so search those in the area also as you could be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the way it works is that the clubs sell golfnow a certain amount of tee times in advance and if golfnow don't fill them they sell them off at short notice in a hot deal. Some big courses on it also so search those in the area also as you could be lucky.

BRS the booking system and Golfnow are the one company. Clubs get the booking system for free if they're willing to give away tee times (and the right to dictate green fee's for those slots).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Would you consider Carlow GC - it is a real gem?

Would you consider Carlow GC - it is a real gem?

I had looked at it. I know I said a 20 min drive wouldn't put me off but 35 each way is creeping up there, (especially when I'm leaving her in the spa!)
    Is it that much of a step up? Is it weathering Ireland's first storm season well?

I heard that Carlow GC is sand based and therefore resistant to heavy rain - recommended either way

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Carlow is dry with good greens and excellent write ups. They have open days at reduced rates and some people even come from Cork to play . Nearly sure that it is about 20 minutes from Kilkenny . Give them a ring and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

Carlow is dry with good greens and excellent write ups. They have open days at reduced rates and some people even come from Cork to play . Nearly sure that it is about 20 minutes from Kilkenny . Give them a ring and see how you get on.

One of the best parkland courses around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Don't get the mad love for Carlow. Admittedly only played it once but didn't think it was all that great. Quite a number of very - lets be nice and call it unusual hole layouts and playing pretty tough. OK as a challenge when you know the place but as a once off not sure.
    Kilkenny is nice but nothing special. Its mostly so pricey and busy because of location.
    I'd go for either Mt Juliet or Gowran. Gowran used to be very vulnerable to the rain, but I heard members saying that has improved a lot. Other than that I'm a big fan of Gowran. Mt Juliet shouldn't be too bad money-wise this time of the year. Proper top course and if in the area as a once off I'd probably go for that. You probably still come in well under what her spa stuff costs. Why don't you treat both of you? :D

Thanks to everyone for all the opinion, booked Carlow. Couldn't justify Mt Juliet at €50 when Carlow was on GolfNow for €15, coupled with the recommendations on it in the wet, which is a crucial point at the moment for me. To be fair, any "nice" course is probably wasted on me as I'm only off 21, but I really want to not spend half the time looking for balls so plugged they've disappeared, even on fairways, like my last couple of outings!
    Thanks again everyone.

dos29 wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for all the opinion, booked Carlow. Couldn't justify Mt Juliet at €50 when Carlow was on GolfNow for €15, coupled with the recommendations on it in the wet, which is a crucial point at the moment for me. To be fair, any "nice" course is probably wasted on me as I'm only off 21, but I really want to not spend half the time looking for balls so plugged they've disappeared, even on fairways, like my last couple of outings! Thanks again everyone.

You won't go wrong with Carlow at that price.

Lets know on you get on in Carlow

Well, turned up to Carlow for a 10:44 tee time only to hear the course was closed due to frost with review at 11. Further review at 12 with decision of back 9 open from 1pm.
    As you can imagine, bit of a backlog at that stage. Went out with 3 locals, couldn't have met nicer lads, so didn't have to play the holes blind. Played those 9 again solo. Great to get to swing a club.
    Course was in great shape overall, very solid. Greens a little patchy/bare in spots but didn't really affect, still rolling quite true. Will definitely return, still 9 new holes there for me!
    Was lucky enough to get a couple of hours to myself the following morning so headed into Kilkenny golf club. 1 - 4 were closed, but I have to say I thought it was a beautiful course. Probably a little more margin for error than Carlow, which certainly suits me!!! Greens in fantastic shape. Little wetter in patches than Carlow maybe but still far more solid than anything near me in West Cork. Will also look to come back there.
    Thanks for all the help folks.

Advertisement