Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 Hours (Benghazi film, Michael Bay)

Options
  • 30-01-2016 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

I thought it was great. If you liked Lone Survivor or Black Hawk Down you'll like this. It can get a bit too flashy at times (it's a Michael Bay film) and a bit sentimental, but there are some very tense moments and the firefights are realistic. There is also a healthy dose of American cheese.

. I would recommend this movie to a friend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Might see it today, looks alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Hasn't got a very wide release, a lot of cinemas not showing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Hasn't got a very wide release, a lot of cinemas not showing it

All 5 cinemas around Cork City were showing it on release date (Yesterday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

28srf0c wrote: »
    All 5 cinemas around Cork City were showing it on release date (Yesterday).
    Literally only 1 cinema in Dublin city is showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is there politics in it? does it do a mention clinton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is there politics in it? does it do a mention clinton?

The book it was based on was an action account rather than anything political.... so, probably just an action flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Right wing crap according to Kemode in The Guardian, Bay is a meathead and all his films are aimed at meatheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Right wing crap according to Kemode in The Guardian, Bay is a meathead and all his films are aimed at meatheads.

There can be interest in seeing the meathead view of the world from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Right wing crap according to Kemode in The Guardian

Said the old trotskyist Kermode in the 'lefty-&-runs-on-a-trust-fund' Grauniad!

I love the good doctor, but he struggles when he can't get past his own politics..

His distaste for 'Wolf of Wall Street' if I recall, was solely to do with its portrayal ofcapitalistic excess, rather than anything pertaining to the craft or merit of the film.

Of course it's a Bay film, so it isn't high art.

His distaste for 'Wolf of Wall Street' if I recall, was solely to do with its portrayal ofcapitalistic excess, rather than anything pertaining to the craft or merit of the film.
    As harsh and reductive as I feel technocentral was I have to disagree with you too. Wolf of Wall Street has no merit, it only made Jordan Belfort more rich and famous. It's vapid, repetitive and indulgent to no point and is stylistically just business as usual for Scorsese. I found Mark Kermode was one of the critics who was spot on about that movie, it's a load of smug, empty, monotonous and self-aggrandizing tosh.

Also a critic's politics should never be left off the table in a review, to do so would be disingenuous and make said person's opinion contrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Wolf..." Is a great black comedy, you can't compare Scorsese and his films to Bay and his ilk.

Wolf of Wall Street is far too flabby and unfocused to be a great comedy tbh. It's just such a nothing movie for me, there's no satirical or dramatic angle so the film just chases its tail for 3 hours before smugly pointing fingers at the viewer in the final scene (while giving the scumbag his own cameo). Also the subway scene = utter bollocks.

But I don't get this dogmatism around certain directors too. It veers way too close to "I haven't this film but..." and "anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot!" territory. I find a lot of what Bay does to be crass and jarring but I can't deny he has a unique visual sense and isn't below throwing out some genuinely beautiful images.

It was alright. Better than any of the transformers films, except maybe the 4th

It was alright. Better than any of the transformers films, except maybe the 4th

Finally somebody talking about the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I enjoyed it. Quite restrained in the flag waving, gung ho department for a Bay film. Minimum wisecracks and 'Murcas. Sure there was a bit but nothing over the top. Action scenes were done well. Not too cheesy at all.

I feel like there was a message being hammered into me, as par the course with Bay, but I'm not at all sure what the message was.

Also I literally couldn't tell the white CIA main guys apart, mostly. They were all bearded, large men, with codenames or whatever, it was kinda confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I feel like there was a message being hammered into me, as par the course with Bay, but I'm not at all sure what the message was.

Also I literally couldn't tell the white CIA main guys apart, mostly. They were all bearded, large men, with codenames or whatever, it was kinda confusing.[/QUOT

Do you have a problem telling regular, everyday bearded guys apart ? Large as some soldiers tend to be, had nicknames, and I understand many military wear beards when working in countries where many of the locals do. Wouldn't have been quite the same if they all looked like the guys from the big bang theory !

It sounds like you were looking for a message but you couldn't find it. Because there was none! It was just a movie about the Embassy Attack in Libya.
    Also I literally couldn't tell the white CIA main guys apart, mostly. They were all bearded, large men, with codenames or whatever, it was kinda confusing.

You should go to the doctors for a check up if you're not able to tell the difference between humans.

Advertisement