Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment prospects for a psychology graduate

Options
  • 29-01-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I am currently studying psychology in UCD and am unsure what I will do after graduation. I expect I will do a masters (not necessarily in psychology). I'm wondering what the typical psychology graduate goes on to do in 5, 10 years. Where do most of them find themselves? What are good possible careers that can be got out of the degree (1st or 2.1) plus a masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi Jammysticks,

Psychology graduates usually fall into one of four careers- Clinical, counselling, educational or research psychology.

For clinical psychology, you can expect to complete a masters and a minimum 1/2 years assistant psychologist/other relevant psychology post with clinical experience. Then you apply for a Doctorate or PhD in Clinical Psychology. This can be a lengthy route although it varies from person to person. Some will get onto the doctorate within one or two years of finishing a masters, some will take longer. There are five clinical courses in Ireland and you can apply for a max of four courses in the UK. When you complete the doctorate, you are funded by the HSE and are paid a salary of circa 32, 000 and your fees are also 60% subsidised.This makes it an attractive and competitive option. Check out Alan Carr's "Introduction to Clinical Psychology" for more info.

For counselling psychology, there are a number of routes. Most individuals will complete diplomas/masters etc. There's a doctorate in counselling psychology course in TCD. It will take 3 years. You can then go on to practice as a counselling psychologist. You are not funded during this course and you will have to pay your fees etc yourself.

For educational psychology, most people will attempt to get experience in an educational setting after undergrad. Then individuals will apply to an MA or PhD in Educational Psychology. Many applicants will also have prior teaching experience and qualifications. This course, like the counselling course, is not funded.

For research psychology, most people will complete a research masters or PhD in some area of psychology. Funding is available via research grants (which are hard to come by so don't depend on them!!). You can also make a small amount of money working as a lab demonstrator or tutor in the college you are studying in. This is also a very competitive field. Many individuals will transfer from research psychology to clinical psychology after a while. The research experience is looked upon favourably when applying to a clinical psychology course.

Make sure to join the PSI Student Affairs Group. They run yearly careers fairs and "day in the life" talks from different psychology professionals. Also chat to academic staff in the department for more info on the postgrad psychology courses which UCD run and ask how best to enhance your application if you want to apply for them.

Good Luck!

Advertisement