Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Directive on Time Keeping

Options
  • 29-01-2016 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

I see that Croke Park have issued a new directive to all County Boards that the rule on added time has been amended with immediate effect to include time lost for

1) Substitutions;
    2) Use of Hawkeye; and
    3) Any relevant delays caused by players travelling distances to take free kicks/pucks

Will undoubtedly become known as the 'Cluxton' Rule!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Sort of related but I can't understand time added on at all, it never goes over three minutes. Last Sunday in Navan there was a fair few injuries and the time added on was only 2 and 3 minutes in each half. Good to see instructions issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

I really wish referees would get a new directive on consistency when moving the ball forward for dissent. Some referees seem to take pleasure in sprinting forward a good 25 metres with the ball at the sign of any sort of questioning from the offending player. Unless I'm missing something in the rules, it seems to be quite clear:
    To show dissent with the Referee’s decision to award a free kick to the opposing team.

PENALTY - The free kick already awarded shall be taken 13m more advantageous than the place of original kick - up to
    opponents’ 13m line

Almost the exact same wording exists for hurling, where that extra 10/15 metres can often mean the difference of a free being scorable or not.

On the general topic of referees, it would be nice to see consistency this season. Yes it's a difficult job, but some of them can be very frustrating. The directives on timekeeping are definitely a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

rpurfield wrote: »
    Sort of related but I can't understand time added on at all, it never goes over three minutes. Last Sunday in Navan there was a fair few injuries and the time added on was only 2 and 3 minutes in each half. Good to see instructions issued.

Yeah I'm convinced the referee just pulls a random number out of his head for injury time. Not sure this directive will change that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The 2004 U21 football final had 10mins added on.

If I recall there was something like 5 added on in the Mayo v Dublin drawn game last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The 2004 U21 football final had 10mins added on.

If I recall there was something like 5 added on in the Mayo v Dublin drawn game last year.

Two examples and one was 12 years ago! In Navan last week at the very least there was no time added on for subs in the second half, and combined there was at least 8 subs between the two teams made. Added to that I reckon there was at least four stoppages for players going down too and there was only 2 minutes added. At the very least time isn't been added on for subs coming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Two examples and one was 12 years ago! In Navan last week at the very least there was no time added on for subs in the second half, and combined there was at least 8 subs between the two teams made. Added to that I reckon there was at least four stoppages for players going down too and there was only 2 minutes added. At the very least time isn't been added on for subs coming in

That's just two I was at and two I recall.

I'm sure there have been many more throughout the years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The amount of time added on is completely dependent on the score at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Considering a game of county football only lasts 40 mins or so of the 'ball in play', this is to be welcomed

Advertisement