Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Supplement?

Options
  • 29-01-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so this is our second pregnancy. my wife is in her second month now.

she is feeling very sick, has a lot of nausea etc. our gp is not prescribing any medication to improve this. are there any over the counter medication/supplements i can buy my wife to improve this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I don't think ireland prescribe any medication unless you are vomiting and dehydrated and are admitted to hospital.
    She could try all the usual things like ginger etc.

Btw, I'm in Germany, severe vomiting, was admitted to hospital for a week at 8 weeks. Still very ill at 17 weeks now. Anyone can get over the counter meds for the nausea even when you are pregnant. I'm stocking up before we move home in 4 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

I don't think ireland prescribe any medication unless you are vomiting and dehydrated and are admitted to hospital.
    She could try all the usual things like ginger etc.

Btw, I'm in Germany, severe vomiting, was admitted to hospital for a week at 8 weeks. Still very ill at 17 weeks now. Anyone can get over the counter meds for the nausea even when you are pregnant. I'm stocking up before we move home in 4 weeks!

how would she eat the ginger? raw, just by itself, or as in ginger tea?

are you aware of specific names for OTC meds for nausea?

Not for any available in ireland sorry. You could always just pop in and ask a pharmacist. Make sure to tell them your wife is preganant.

I didn't find anything worked on my first pregnancy though. Sometimes you just have to power through. I know that actually vomiting made the nausea go away for up to an hour. I think ginger tea/ biscuits might work. Other thing I did was stay away room dairy and fruit in the morning. The acid wasn't good on my stomach. Regular black tea also helped.

On my first pregnancy the nausea subsided by 3/4 in the afternoon and I was able to hydrate and eat a bit so didn't end up in hospital.
    Your wife could speak to her gp also.

Not for any available in ireland sorry. You could always just pop in and ask a pharmacist. Make sure to tell them your wife is preganant.

I didn't find anything worked on my first pregnancy though. Sometimes you just have to power through. I know that actually vomiting made the nausea go away for up to an hour. I think ginger tea/ biscuits might work. Other thing I did was stay away room dairy and fruit in the morning. The acid wasn't good on my stomach. Regular black tea also helped.

On my first pregnancy the nausea subsided by 3/4 in the afternoon and I was able to hydrate and eat a bit so didn't end up in hospital.
    Your wife could speak to her gp also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I had morning sickness on this pregnancy and it lasted until 3 weeks ago (am now 20-21 weeks).
    I drank as much water as I could to stay hydrated, at foods that were inoffensive to me in terms of smell or taste (generally oranges and raw cashews) and tried ginger ale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

murfilein wrote: »
    so this is our second pregnancy. my wife is in her second month now.

she is feeling very sick, has a lot of nausea etc. our gp is not prescribing any medication to improve this. are there any over the counter medication/supplements i can buy my wife to improve this?

I got ginger biscuits in a health food shop, they helped more than I expected. I was also eating plain crackers, but found the ginger biscuits more effective. I drank ginger ale too but there are better ginger drinks that are also available from a health food shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

GP generally won't prescribe anything. Depending on how severe it is she may be prescribed anti nausea medication by her maternity hospital. I have suffered from hypermesis gravidarum during this pregnancy so it was prescribed for me during the worst period as I had lost a lot of weight and suffered from dehydration and had to go to hospital a number of times. If it's any consolation I'm 20 weeks and my nausea is much better now. I can still have bad days but nothing like it was up to 15 weeks.

I tried all the 'tips' for treating nausea but none of them had any effect.

Advertisement