Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Permit Car choice

Options
  • 29-01-2016 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello, im a 20 yr old lad and got currently learner permit all 12 lessons. permit nearly 1yr old. so.. i want to get a good quote on a car. i was searching online and compared a few prices. the best i got was 1.9tdi skoda for €2900. and i tested a 1.4l petrol honda / golf 3.300! thats mad. oh and 1.6 audi a4. 3.200, will someone tell me honestly a good looking car that insurance people wont go mad after? around €1-2500 for a quote.

max i can spend is 2k. thanks!

i had a golf 1.4l 2000 year. got 5K quote when i had 5lessons done. !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How about boring mundane 1 litres to get a year of experience under the belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

How about boring mundane 1 litres to get a year of experience under the belt?

Pretty much the smart choice. Insurance is up across the board so the thing now is to go boring til you have things like a no claims bonus on your side.

Get something with a small engine for a-b driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sergiut11

I want something for college so i was thinking about 1.4 to 1.6 , but the insurance its fair costly. i heard that the peugeot 1.1 are terrible cars and break a lot.. so was hoping maybe german or czech cars

sergiut11 wrote: »
    I want something for college so i was thinking about 1.4 to 1.6 , but the insurance its fair costly. i heard that the peugeot 1.1 are terrible cars and break a lot.. so was hoping maybe german or czech cars

Skoda fabia, Toyota yaris, vw polo, Ford fiesta. All do 1-1.3 kind of engines. Some older corollas too, and they go forever. I had a 96 that was a fantastic car.

trebormax wrote: »
    Skoda fabia, Toyota yaris, vw polo, Ford fiesta. All do 1-1.3 kind of engines. Some older corollas too, and they go forever. I had a 96 that was a fantastic car.

what about 1.3 colt , 2003 ish.. i heard they last forever too.

thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The colts have a rep as a boy racer car and a lot of insurance companies have a loading on them. When my sister was getting her first car we actually rang around a few companies and outright asked "what is the cheapest car to insure" and then looked at cars from that list. I can't remember them all but the Yaris and micra and Ford Ka were on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

if you've been driving a year and don't yet feel confident enough to take the test, then a 1 litre Micra or similar is what you should look for.

I'd look at the Yaris above all else. My sister has one, and they are a fantastic little car, can be a little more expensive to buy but are less likely to need big repair or service bills, and can be insured on the cheap.

As mentioned, the colt has an old reputation as a car that was modded, so insurers set them higher quotes. Its unfair but its the market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Another thing you have to watch out for is the age of the car. Insurance companies are running away from cars that are 15 years, and even 10 years old. So this may be holding you back. I know it's ridiculous...

im really good driver to be honest. im driving my dad's 2L bmw. got 1month insurance on it 256euros. rip off. but im getting full licence in 2weeks time, hope ill pass the test first time. and i was thinking skoda octavia 1.9tdi or fabia as its not like a boy racers car. like audi civics

• Advertisement

Id say you will be crucified on a 1.9 anything.

A 1.4 Octavia may be a goer. But will be insured similar to a golf.

Id say you will be crucified on a 1.9 anything.

A 1.4 Octavia may be a goer. But will be insured similar to a golf.

hahha alright :D

i had a 1.4 golf 2000 yr. was asked 5000 as i said. but ill wait i think untill im 21 this is mad. i just got a quote on a opel corsa 1L 2003 for 3000. and a 1.9tdi skoda 5600! thats ireland for you. joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

3 years ago I was a 23 year old female driver of a 2000 vw polo on a learner permit. I paid 1200 (roughly) for the first year and 1300 for the second year. It's gone down a good bit since passing the test but I would stick to a 1 or 1.2 as I think your quotes will still be quite high..

hahha alright :D

i had a 1.4 golf 2000 yr. was asked 5000 as i said. but ill wait i think untill im 21 this is mad. i just got a quote on a opel corsa 1L 2003 for 3000. and a 1.9tdi skoda 5600! thats ireland for you. joke!

I just tried a 1L yaris on a comparison site, and used 20yo living in Dub with zero no claims bonus and got just over €2000. I'd honestly say that's the best you would get starting your own policy for the first time.

Its an absolute pain I know, but I hope you find something to make it work. Final thing; I would personally take the hit rather than wait until 21, if you are a decent driver that no claims bonus is an absolute godsend. Took my policy of €2560 down to €690 along with a few other bits and pieces like a credit union discount.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, most of the cars you listed there are high profile and loaded by insurance companies when it comes to inexperienced young drivers trying to insure them. You need to look at smaller cars at least until you can build up some claims free driving experience, yes they are not very cool with young people but they are not blacklisted by insurance companies either.

I just tried a 1L yaris on a comparison site, and used 20yo living in Dub with zero no claims bonus and got just over €2000. I'd honestly say that's the best you would get starting your own policy for the first time.

Its an absolute pain I know, but I hope you find something to make it work. Final thing; I would personally take the hit rather than wait until 21, if you are a decent driver that no claims bonus is an absolute godsend. Took my policy of €2560 down to €690 along with a few other bits and pieces like a credit union discount.

Good luck.

thanks, ill look for a 1.2 or 1L !

mimimcmc wrote: »
    3 years ago I was a 23 year old female driver of a 2000 vw polo on a learner permit. I paid 1200 (roughly) for the first year and 1300 for the second year. It's gone down a good bit since passing the test but I would stick to a 1 or 1.2 as I think your quotes will still be quite high..

thats fair good price!

yeah ill rather buy a 1.2 , thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have a 2005 Fiesta 1.2. Car cost €2700 insurance was €1600 for learner permit, got refund of 300ish when passed the test.

Great little car! I've had no problems at all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

what about 1.3 colt , 2003 ish.. i heard they last forever too.

thanks for the info!

Stay away from the colts not good

i have the test in 2 weeks time. maybe it will go down in price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement