Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Identify this car please

Options
  • 28-01-2016 11:36am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what make this car is. Picture taken probably in the 1940s, maybe 50s.

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15376

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ford Popular 103E, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Its a Ford Anglia. Model is E494A. Its what the Ford Popular 103E was based on. You can tell its an Anglia as it has larger front headlights, and chrome side grills and bumper. Built from '49 to '53 I think.

One of my favroite cars as it happens, yet I don't own one...yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this likely to be the rear of it? trying to work out who people in old family photos are and knowing if it's the same car will help.
    picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

E494A didn't have the spare mounted like that

could be a V8 Pilot. (could be lots of other cars too I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Deffo not a pilot, more likely to be a bmw 321 than that.

I'd be inclined to say anglia based on the wipers, the 103e's wiper was above the windscreen, the anglias were in the normal place, as seen in this photo

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Deffo not a pilot, more likely to be a bmw 321 than that.

I'd be inclined to say anglia based on the wipers, the 103e's wiper was above the windscreen, the anglias were in the normal place, as seen in this photo

hard to see the wipers in a rear view

Oh you were talking about the second pic, sorry i was looking at the first one.

Yeah the pilot had that spare wheel dent, but the boot seems flush with the back window, id be leaning towards a vauxhall or wolesley as they had that style rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

So much for all cars of today looking the same!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The car (first picture) was their business, much like a taxi today. They used to have a pony and trap until one black sheep in the family sold it, ran off with the proceeds and left the rest of them with no income. There's one in every family. :)

Here's another one of one of their older cars, for those that are interested. A couple of fearsome looking ladies in the photo.

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15378

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

spurious wrote: »
    Is this likely to be the rear of it? trying to work out who people in old family photos are and knowing if it's the same car will help.
    picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15377

10.vauxhallh12presspicture06.47.jpg

Vauxhall Twelve-Four?

• Advertisement

More cars should have running boards, it makes posing with your motor an altogether classier affair

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Oh you were talking about the second pic, sorry i was looking at the first one.

Yeah the pilot had that spare wheel dent, but the boot seems flush with the back window, id be leaning towards a vauxhall or wolesley as they had that style rear

the Tzar is dead, long live the Tzar

Advertisement