Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Deal of the Day - Lenovo Stick PC £50

Options
  • 28-01-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Amazon Deal of the Day - Lenovo Stick PC £50

like a lot of things on BA, I'm tempted to get one just to have one - can't see a need for it but I'm sure the BA'ers will "justify" getting one....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wonder would this be ok for playing Minecraft?

Have wireless keyboard / mouse combo and could stick this into the back of the kitchen tv (which has hdmi)

Have wireless keyboard / mouse combo and could stick this into the back of the kitchen tv (which has hdmi)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

unkel wrote: »

It should be able to play the minecraft 'windows 10 edition' which is the same as the minecraft PE edition capable of running on lower spec tablets and phones.

Windows 10 edition is missing a lot of the community features (mods etc) of the minecraft PC edition but it works fine for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

unkel wrote: »

Would be suprised if it wasn't ok for Minecraft, Kodi would be what I would be thinking of using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

eamonnq wrote: »
    Would be suprised if it wasn't ok for Minecraft, Kodi would be what I would be thinking of using it for.

Likewise, would this cut the mustard for running Kodi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think some Android boxes offer Kodi the advantage of hardware decoding, but Intel architecture, like the one seen here, doesn't do this. I could be wrong though.

Kodi aside (I kind of hate it, frankly) I've found Android boxes offer a poor experience compared to Windows 10. I bought one last summer to replace my Logitech Revue, mainly for Android app support (the revue used a precursor, Google TV). Compared to the Revue - a box designed by a proper company in proper English - I found it pretty poor; bad English, poor layouts, an on-screen keyboard popping up despite my use of a hardware keyboard, and so on. However I've since bought the Dell Inspiron Mini for the bedroom and it's a much better experience for the most part. I don't really use it as a HTPC, but with something like the following I reckon a Windows 10 HTPC could be quite handy:

http://mymediaexperience.com/windows-8-xbmc-appliance/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think some Android boxes offer Kodi the advantage of hardware decoding, but Intel architecture, like the one seen here, doesn't do this. I could be wrong though.

Kodi aside (I kind of hate it, frankly) I've found Android boxes offer a poor experience compared to Windows 10. I bought one last summer to replace my Logitech Revue, mainly for Android app support (the revue used a precursor, Google TV). Compared to the Revue - a box designed by a proper company in proper English - I found it pretty poor; bad English, poor layouts, an on-screen keyboard popping up despite my use of a hardware keyboard, and so on. However I've since bought the Dell Inspiron Mini for the bedroom and it's a much better experience for the most part. I don't really use it as a HTPC, but with something like the following I reckon a Windows 10 HTPC could be quite handy:

http://mymediaexperience.com/windows-8-xbmc-appliance/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Its sold out now. A lot of bad reviews too. Not sure if I missed out on much but still would have liked to buy it....

Edit: YOU CAN STILL ORDER IT, IT SEEMS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most of the bad reviews were issues upgrading to Win10. If you're content with 8.1 it was a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Most of the bad reviews were issues upgrading to Win10. If you're content with 8.1 it was a good deal.

Yes I noticed that alright that it was mainly the upgrade. Very tempted! Wonder can u put Linux on it...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Intel version had dome heat issues too so be advised if you are thinking of using it for anything too intensive.

Akrasia wrote: »
    It should be able to play the minecraft 'windows 10 edition' which is the same as the minecraft PE edition capable of running on lower spec tablets and phones.

Windows 10 edition is missing a lot of the community features (mods etc) of the minecraft PC edition but it works fine for what it is

I bought minecraft PC edition for the kids, but our old laptop was too old for it. And I'll be damned if I let them loose on my own PC :D

Didn't realise buying the PC edition entitled you to the W10 edition for free. Installed that on my old laptop (which runs W10 on an SSD, but it is 9 or 10 years old) and it's working fine

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ordered this morning but still no delivery date, looks like it might be an email to say they can't deliver on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Would this be any good for converting video on the fly when streaming for plex i wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    Would this be any good for converting video on the fly when streaming for plex i wonder

No

Advertisement