Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job opportnities - feeling deflated

Options
  • 28-01-2016 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Im an NQT and had a great run subbing since start of school year but have had my quietest week yet with only one day so far - feeling so deflated. Ive worked in other sectors previously and have never seen such a will to work as I do in my unemployed fellow NQT's (or long time subs).
    We want to work, we are waiting by the phone every morning, i have 3 kids who i have a childcare situation organised and paid for so that I am ready to run out the door when i get that call - and nothing.
    Im actually appalled at the paid-by-the hour rule - and if anyone tells me thats what its like in other sectors, to you i say, yes but in other sectors you get your 3/ 4 hour shift-straight-and then go home. You are not sitting around in a staffroom - 1 hour from home - waiting for your next class.

Is this normal to have the lull at this time of year. Im freaking because I know mocks will be starting next week and assume that will impact hours as well. I just feel we are really fighting for scraps, some of my friends are subbing in the same schools and its like we are eyeing each other up, hoping someone moves OS and leaves a gap for more hours.
    Im not looking for permanency - im not that niave - but God, id love a block.....Anyone else feeling thursday morning blues??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 abra1

Should add that im post-primary - hence the hourly rate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am sick to death to ringing subs who are all busy these weeks, I have had work for subs and ended up having to cover it internally because I couldn't get anyone. And this is Cork City.

By the paid per hour, thats the normal way for subs and sometimes you might get 3 hours work but its spread over the day. But 3 hours x hourly rate is good pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 abra1

Ive had some schools that pay their own rate - to cover staff out at matches etc. No, that pay is not good. Its 20 euro an hour and for 3 hours, an hour journey, and 50 euro childcare, its very defeating. And yet, i would not turn it down; i love the job. But its not a crime to want to be paid what youre worth. Just because im not prepping lessons for my own classes doesnt mean im not constantly reading new reports, keeping upto date with current trends, amassing potential resources. Theres a lot of heart and effort out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

never heard of that per hour rate, I assume its a private school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

TheDriver wrote: »
    I am sick to death to ringing subs who are all busy these weeks, I have had work for subs and ended up having to cover it internally because I couldn't get anyone. And this is Cork City.

By the paid per hour, thats the normal way for subs and sometimes you might get 3 hours work but its spread over the day. But 3 hours x hourly rate is good pay though.

I rang about twenty numbers off subteacher.ie during the week and couldn't get one!

I don't know where all these unemployed teachers are because I haven't received ONE cv this year. I have a full week of subbing next week that I will have to try cover when I could be paying someone to do it.

I don't expect that people sit by the phone waiting for me to ring ib the morning but sometimes you know that there's a week or two coming up with exams or orals etc and you can book someone well in advance. It seems that the subs just aren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I rang about twenty numbers off subteacher.ie during the week and couldn't get one!

I don't know where all these unemployed teachers are because I haven't received ONE cv this year. I have a full week of subbing next week that I will have to try cover when I could be paying someone to do it.

I don't expect that people sit by the phone waiting for me to ring ib the morning but sometimes you know that there's a week or two coming up with exams or orals etc and you can book someone well in advance. It seems that the subs just aren't there.

They are all taken up with bitty pieces of contracts, sitting in staffrooms waiting around for the next one of their 8 class periods. Underemployed but unavailable for short term subbing.

I see several schools advertising for subs on zero hours contracts in past few months too. You get a contract to sit in the staffroom every day and get any and all classes that become available. Most schools in this area have stopped hiring specific subs for anything shorter than maternity leave (and sometimes not even then) - everything is covered by the resident subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

I've 6 hours teaching in an school in Cork, they are on the same two days and I'm getting good experience however it is some travel distance from my house. My principal is putting lots of pressure on me to come in on the other days to do supervision. I'm just not interested. I have childcare costs to factor in (only after school tho so not huge) but as a NQT my pay is so bad that it's barely worth my while doing the hours I currently do. I take home €136 per week for 6 hours pro-rata point 1 of the new scale. The pay for NQTs is so dismal that once travel, tolls and childcare costs are factored in as well as the need to have respectable clothes etc it's just not worth the money. Add that to the fact that you only get paid for time spent in front of a class even though you might give up your whole day to be there and it's easy to see why teachers are reluctant to do supervision.
    I actually don't think management realise just how little we earn but when I factor in the extra hours for Croke park, induction days I've done and full days in-service training not to mention time spent preparing, correcting etc, it literally reduces my hourly rate to way below minimum wage.

I knew the pay wouldn't be great but I'm starting to feel like this is all a charitable endeavor - it's very disheartening. What's worse is that I'm being made to feel like I'm in the wrong for being reluctant to come in on my days off for very little reward and lots of stress! Tbh, one of the reasons I took the job was so that I could condense my working week into 2 days. I had similar hours in my previous role but they were spread over the whole week.. Unless pay increases, getting NQTs to cover an hour here and there and expecting them to be grateful for it is going to get harder and harder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

SlinkyL wrote: »
    I've 6 hours teaching in an school in Cork, they are on the same two days and I'm getting good experience however it is some travel distance from my house. My principal is putting lots of pressure on me to come in on the other days to do supervision. I'm just not interested. I have childcare costs to factor in (only after school tho so not huge) but as a NQT my pay is so bad that it's barely worth my while doing the hours I currently do. I take home €136 per week for 6 hours pro-rata point 1 of the new scale. The pay for NQTs is so dismal that once travel, tolls and childcare costs are factored in as well as the need to have respectable clothes etc it's just not worth the money. Add that to the fact that you only get paid for time spent in front of a class even though you might give up your whole day to be there and it's easy to see why teachers are reluctant to do supervision.
    I actually don't think management realise just how little we earn but when I factor in the extra hours for Croke park, induction days I've done and full days in-service training not to mention time spent preparing, correcting etc, it literally reduces my hourly rate to way below minimum wage.

I knew the pay wouldn't be great but I'm starting to feel like this is all a charitable endeavor - it's very disheartening. What's worse is that I'm being made to feel like I'm in the wrong for being reluctant to come in on my days off for very little reward and lots of stress! Tbh, one of the reasons I took the job was so that I could condense my working week into 2 days. I had similar hours in my previous role but they were spread over the whole week.. Unless pay increases, getting NQTs to cover an hour here and there and expecting them to be grateful for it is going to get harder and harder

Firstly its a disgrace how many NQTs are being treated. If the principal wants you to come in surely he/she will be paying you for it, that might improve your take home and possibly even your chance of more hours next year. If you are on only 6 hours you shouldn't have to do much S&S supervision, its pro-rata so you should check out exactly how much unpaid S&S you have to do. I am full time and most weeks the most I get called for is 1 class of S&S.

solerina wrote: »
    Firstly its a disgrace how many NQTs are being treated. If the principal wants you to come in surely he/she will be paying you for it, that might improve your take home and possibly even your chance of more hours next year. If you are on only 6 hours you shouldn't have to do much S&S supervision, its pro-rata so you should check out exactly how much unpaid S&S you have to do. I am full time and most weeks the most I get called for is 1 class of S&S.

Sorry - I should have made it clearer - this would be subbing - paid hours I'm being asked to do. But taking today as an example, I had two paid hours in work, left house before 8 to travel there (takes just over an hour) was home just after 1pm. 1 hour was spent sitting around not getting paid, 2 hours travelling. So essentially 5 hours of my day to get paid for 2. I accept that everyone has to travel to work but they usually work a shift or a min of 5 hours. The hourly rate is not high enough anymore to justify the travelling and sitting around time, not to mention the costs involved in childcare for some (like me!!) tolls, petrol etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

The casualisation of the teaching profession and the treatment of NQTs should be looked at in depth. Somebody who has trained for a number of years should not be expected to sub, take on 0 hour contracts etc on a long-term basis. Waiting by your phone ready in the morning to run to any school that may or may not ring is very disheartening. It impacts on your confidence and your ability to view yourself as a legitimate teacher. Even finding a corner to put your folders/resources can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I certainly have the Thursday morning blues today. All day. My first pay day came through today for the first fortnights work, a month after I started. The time taken though awkward, is not the problem. The major problem is that my cheque is so low. It's through the floor.

I have my Dip, awarded in 2014 in addition to my BSc from 2006 and I am registered with the teaching council subject to Post Qualification Employment requirement and the Induction Programme. Should I be getting paid at qualified rate or non-qualified rate?
    I was sure having finished the Dip it would be the former, but looking at my wage slip its the latter. I'm onto the Teaching Council and the Department but haven't been able to get to facts yet.

Look over that period I only found 18 hours 20 mins, and after PAYE took its 19% share I'm left with €440 today.

I'm broke. I'm working over 110 miles from home so I'm staying in a BnB for 3 nights for my 4 day working week at €90 as its more economical than driving. It's lonely in the BnB but quite a necessary move. Take that into account and I'm starting off my week less than if I was on the dole. €130 a week. I have theeee most modest tastes going that you ll find, but recently the tax and insurance for my 2003 Ford took me for over €1450 for the year. :(

It's proper desperation that I'm on this, this evening.

I simply can't afford this, can I. I think I have to hand in my notice, perhaps in time for next weeks unpaid mid term break and try and get a job labouring as I did before near home.

Pay rates are unreal. They are just so low - I would also be better off on the dole for which I would qualify for as I have enough credits paid in 2014.
    I will not do this contract again next year, if I can't get better hours I will definitely sign on while looking for employment in a different field..
    I get just less that €600 for a total of 24 hours teaching a month so the sum of €440 for 18 hours is probably about right on the new rates... I am getting the lowest of the three qualified rates...I qualified 2013. These hourly rates would be just about tolerable on full hours but with some teachers (like me) on contracts for as little as 6 hours they just make the whole thing..all the training, qualifications, efforts preparing classes and dealing with abuse from students (which happens in my school) not worth it. I would rather work a couple of days in a shop for more money and way less grief... I think we need to start getting more vocal with exactly what NQT take home pay is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

disgraceful stories here, should be more of a ht topic in election weeks, now time to bring this up!

Advertisement