Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing flash with Ambient Light in Bright Situations

Options
  • 28-01-2016 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I wrote up a blog piece on how to balance flash with ambient light for beginners. LINK.

I'm not sure if many people here use off-camera flash, but if there is I'd love to hear from you! It seems to be dwindling massively in popularity lately, despite all the amazing new developments in the field. I'm a big fan of it and thought I'd share this with you all. If it's considered blogspam you can kill it off, otherwise I'd be happy to talk with people about strobist techniques more here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Well I like it anyway. I especially like the bit about TTL at the end. I use a TTL flash sometimes, and generally find that I'm unhappy with the result. I think it's better to just have a bit of awareness of your subject, and you will be able to take the "right" photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

Good stuff, nice digestible reading for an often daunting subject area.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Enjoyed reading that. Makes it all seem easy 😀 just the way it should be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nicely explained.

I cannot remember the last time I used a flash, other than in the studio.

Must get out and use them again. Even though I mainly balance things in PP now practicing other methods can be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Great tutorial; easy to follow. I knew the basics you covered but having them laid out so clearly has encouraged me to take my flash next time I go outdoors.

Your example images were particularly helpful in demonstrating what you were describing; they made it very easy to see the steps in action.

More please :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I was reluctant to share it initially as I was worried I'd look like I was just spamming. If people are cool with it, I'd love to share more!

I'm really into trying to get flash past the scary-wizard-like appearance it has and make it explainable - and while I'm not the know-all in the genre, I'd love to help anyone out who has a problem with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There've been about half a dozen times in the last two weeks when I've wished I'd had my off-camera flash with me, so it's definitely something that interests me! Call it a learning disability :pac: but in each case, for reasons of weight and space, I'd chosen to take extra lenses and/or a tripod instead of my hefty flash.

Good article!

Advertisement