Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5X or OnePlus Two

Options
  • 28-01-2016 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭

At the moment the Nexus 5x is €349 for 16GB and €399 for 32GB
    The 1+2 is €399 for it's 64GB model.

Assuming you had the 400 bucks, would you buy the Nexus 32gb or the OnePlus 2 64GB?

My current phone is the OnePlus One and previous phone was the Nexus 5. I'm leaning towards the 1+2 as it has more storage and RAM, but I like the style and the design of the Nexus more.

Anyway, if I sell my 1+1 to cex and move a bit of money around this month, I should have the money to buy one of these.

Anyone have their opinion on which one they'd go for, or if they wouldn't bother with either of them? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Are either of them even that much of an upgrade over the Oneplus One?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Strangely the Oneplus 2 doesn't have NFC at a time when is supposedly turning useful.
    For example the leapcard app now uses it for balance checks and top ups.

A bizarre move if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm seeing just too many things going wrong with the OPT on forums. Fingerprint scanner stopping working, capacitive buttons breaking and the phone slowing down after a couple of months along with overheating and throttling.

I just wouldn't be comfortable myself buying one and I've come so close to doing so a couple of times.

The missus bought a 5x and it's a nice phone but it depends if you can live with the specs (assuming that's your thing, in real life it's plenty snappy although interestingly I did see a 5 vs 5x speedtest and the forced encryption on the 5x actually means the 5 isn't far behind in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

xtal191 wrote: »
    Are either of them even that much of an upgrade over the Oneplus One?

To be honest, not really! :o
    biebiebie wrote: »
    Strangely the Oneplus 2 doesn't have NFC at a time when is supposedly turning useful.
    For example the leapcard app now uses it for balance checks and top ups.

A bizarre move if you ask me

It is a bit dumb on oneplus behalf, right when the market is demanding it.
    Personally, I have zero use for NFC though, although I can pair my BT headphones with it :)
    I'm seeing just too many things going wrong with the OPT on forums. Fingerprint scanner stopping working, capacitive buttons breaking and the phone slowing down after a couple of months along with overheating and throttling.

I just wouldn't be comfortable myself buying one and I've come so close to doing so a couple of times.

The missus bought a 5x and it's a nice phone but it depends if you can live with the specs (assuming that's your thing, in real life it's plenty snappy although interestingly I did see a 5 vs 5x speedtest and the forced encryption on the 5x actually means the 5 isn't far behind in terms of performance.

Not good news then on either phone!
    The one lad at work who has a OPT had to get his RMA'd due to an issue, but he still told me I should get one. Bit of Stockholm syndrome maybe? :D

Oh I had forgotten about the encryption on The 5X.

Too many dang phones if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've been looking for a new one... Almost pulled the trigger on the nexus 6p but couldn't justify the cost.

I think I'm going to wait to see the upcoming redmi note 3 pro. It's looking like it'll be good enough. I'm at the point now where I'm just sick of looking at phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't think I would get another One Plus phone again after the One to be honest, served me well for a while but not without issue and the support was p*ss poor.

Ordered a Nexus 6P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Thinking the 5x now myself. Would the 16gb be enough. I don't use my phone for music so a few apps and pics is all I will be storing on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I recently got the one plus 2. Just after Xmas received mine. The nexus 5x was sort of my thing but I figured if its not the top of the line snapdragon 810 then its not really a flagship phone. You'll probably be wishing you had an 810 in your nexus 5x. Thats what swung it for me and your getting updates on a regular basis on the one plus 2 just like a nexus. The 5.5" screen is nicer for movies also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Thinking about the 5x myself. My moto x2 screen is smashed but still working.

I think at this point we've reached the highest screen size that people are willing to tolerate in a phone. I personally think that's 5.5" although 5.2" is a great size also.
    There's also loads out there who think that anything 5" and above is prohibitively big and to a degree, I don't blame them.

Of course in 3 years time, 7" might be the new benchmark, but I hope that I never end up with one that big :D

As for now, I might wait and see what gets announced in the next few weeks.
    I might even chance the chinese phones thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Would the Motorola mota x play be a decent alternative to the two phones mentioned?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Would the Motorola mota x play be a decent alternative to the two phones mentioned?

It certainly would be a decent alternative, if not a little bit lower on specs than my current phone, but I'd be a bit wary around future updates.

Lenovo are winding down the Motorola brand, so support could be dropped at any time

Well support is great at the moment, I got marshmallow on my X 2014 really fast. It's pretty much pure Google too with a few handy extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Lenovo are winding down the Motorola brand, so support could be dropped at any time
    No they aren't. It was incorrectly reported and words twisted for that conclusion to come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

One Plus 2 is currently available with £40 off in the UK store. Use code TUBE40.

Pulled the trigger in it two days ago and got confirmation of shipping this morning to Parcel Motel.

Total Cost : £249 which was €325 using Revolut Card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

One Plus 2 is currently available with £40 off in the UK store. Use code TUBE40.

Pulled the trigger in it two days ago and got confirmation of shipping this morning to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

EGriff wrote: »
    Well support is great at the moment, I got marshmallow on my X 2014 really fast. It's pretty much pure Google too with a few handy extras.

Wait till they release another phone. Look at the support for the One Plus One now.

EGriff wrote: »

That's pretty good going all the same. I think as it stands, the X style has MM, but the X play doesn't have it yet.
    Kavrocks wrote: »
    No they aren't. It was incorrectly reported and words twisted for that conclusion to come about.

Whoops, it does appear that's correct. Sorry for spreading misinformation :o
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Wait till they release another phone. Look at the support for the One Plus One now.

I think EGriff was talking about the Moto X, rather than the OnePlus X.
    I agree with the sentiment though, as someone who has a 1+1, I've been on custom roms since day 1, never felt comfortable leaving the fate of the softwarre up to OnePlus :pac:

scout353 wrote: »

Nice, that's a great price.

Does the Revolut card have to have a UK address for this method to work? :)

Yeah I was talking about the Moto X.

• Advertisement
Advertisement