Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt a car help

Options
  • 28-01-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So went looking at this car imported from England. The car has been in the country over 6 months. Just wondering how would I go about to vrt it and what forms would I need and also how long would it take before I got the Irish number plates and able to insure the car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a receipt from the seller. VRTing it should not be any different for you as you are only buying it now. Revenue can chase the seller if they want them to pay fines for not VRTing it on entry to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always believed it was illegal to sell a UK registered car in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

NIMAN wrote: »
    I always believed it was illegal to sell a UK registered car in Ireland?

Only registered dealers who have been certified by Revenue can have UK registered cars for sale on their lots. Buying a UK registered car in Ireland from a private individual can leave you liable to late registration penalties as well as the vrt due when you attempt to get it on irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Only registered dealers who have been certified by Revenue can have UK registered cars for sale on their lots. Buying a UK registered car in Ireland from a private individual can leave you liable to late registration penalties as well as the vrt due when you attempt to get it on irish plates.

You need the full v5 document. Don't let sleet send it off to DVLA to change owner.
    You then need a receipt. If you were to turn up with a hand written receipt with a random northern ireland address and and a recent date signed by Michael Mouse, you would be fine. Having bought it in northern ireland does away with them looking for any proof of ferry tickets to see when cat entered country.
    It is of no concern to vrt people here who sold you the car only that you are now the owner and you have brought it into the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sdoody92

mickdw wrote: »
    You need the full v5 document. Don't let sleet send it off to DVLA to change owner.
    You then need a receipt. If you were to turn up with a hand written receipt with a random northern ireland address and and a recent date signed by Michael Mouse, you would be fine. Having bought it in northern ireland does away with them looking for any proof of ferry tickets to see when cat entered country.
    It is of no concern to vrt people here who sold you the car only that you are now the owner and you have brought it into the state.

The car is for sale in Cork.. I don't mind paying the vrt fir it I just don't wana be caught with fines or a car I can't vrt due to lack of documents.. he said he has the v5c form if that's what ur on about and that's all he has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

make sure the car checks out....worth paying for ...a UK car will have the mileage recorded etc.

You need a receipt as mickdw says.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd only buy it if I could speak to the registered owner on the V5 and confirm that the car was not stolen, plenty of other cars around.

Car is probably being sold by a wheeler dealer type looking to flip it over for a quick profit. Make sure to do proper background checks on the car before buying it.

Technically it is illegal for a private individual to sell a foreign registered car here, they are supposed to VRT it before selling it. However plenty do it and get the buyer to VRT the car themselves, so that they don't grab the attention of Revenue. In a rare genuine case you get someone who brought the car in for themselves and then realized they could not afford to pay the VRT.

Sdoody92 wrote: »
    The car is for sale in Cork.. I don't mind paying the vrt fir it I just don't wana be caught with fines or a car I can't vrt due to lack of documents.. he said he has the v5c form if that's what ur on about and that's all he has

Yes I know you said it's in the country already but you cannot tell the vrt man that or you will create a **** storm for yourself as you don't know date of entry to the state etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sdoody92

I say I'll just leave it off. Probably cause a bit of hassle to vrt it over not know the date of entry and so on. The seller is also avoiding some questions I be asking him about it so seems a bit dodgy. Thanks for all the replys

• Advertisement

Run away if he is being evasive.
    If you have the uk reg, you can stick it into mot checker website and get its mileage history. Proves very interesting for alot of donedeal stuff thats on english plates

Run away if he is being evasive.
    If you have the uk reg, you can stick it into mot checker website and get its mileage history. Proves very interesting for alot of donedeal stuff thats on english plates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sdoody92 wrote: »
    Probably cause a bit of hassle to vrt it over not know the date of entry and so on. The seller is also avoiding some questions I be asking him about it so seems a bit dodgy.

Ye, unless his price is almost giving it away, it's generally not worth the hassle. If you want a UK car, worth the trip over yourself to find a good one or use a reputable car sourcing firm.

The sheer amount of UK cars on donedeal is annoying, especially when dealing with chancers who try and hide the fact it's UK reg, with the exception of genuine NI cars for sale in NI.

If looking at one, I'd assume by default it's been clocked unless it can be proven otherwise. And as always, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

dempseydav wrote: »
    Hi there I bought a English reg car from a guy in Dublin and I'm booked in to get its vrt done tomorow but iv no shipping details of the date of arrival into ireland , iv written recipe with an English address on it and I alsohave the v5 ...would I be better handing in a recipe with an NI address on it .....???

In my opinion yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dempseydav

mickdw wrote: »

What if you bought it off a guy in Dublin and have no proof of shipping details or date of arrival into Ireland ..would this be the way to go

What if you bought it off a guy in Dublin and have no proof of shipping details or date of arrival into Ireland ..would this be the way to go

You bought a UK registered car from a private individual in the state when he/she wasn't entitled to keep it on UK plates and you have no proof of entry into the country. If the VRT centre already have a record of that vehicle you could be looking at late penalties + the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dempseydav

You bought a UK registered car from a private individual in the state when he/she wasn't entitled to keep it on UK plates and you have no proof of entry into the country. If the VRT centre already have a record of that vehicle you could be looking at late penalties + the VRT.

Thank you for your reply. .... how could they have a record of it ? Yea I know iv to pay the vrt thats fine but what could the peniltys be for me on the lack of proof of entry into the state?

Thank you for your reply. .... how could they have a record of it ? Yea I know iv to pay the vrt thats fine but what could the peniltys be for me on the lack of proof of entry into the state?

If the person who you are buying the car off had brought the car for inspection at a vrt centre with a view to having it registered but didn't follow through, then there's a record of the car being presented.

Also from the Revenue website.

I bought privately and don't have an invoice.

You will need an invoice showing the date of purchase in order to register the vehicle. If you have bought the vehicle privately, you will still need an invoice showing details of the seller and the date on which it was sold to you.

I can't prove the date I brought the car into the country. What happens next?

If you can't prove when you brought the car into the country, then the VRT will be charged from the date of the invoice, the date of change of ownership from the foreign certificate of registration, or the date of the certificate of permanent exportation, etc. as appropriate.

That's a very lax rule in NCT centres though, they will ask you to write out a receipt in front of them if you don't have one and have been known to supply you with a pen and paper too if needed.

Advertisement