Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swinford Request To Be Election Poster Free Zone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Fair play and good luck to Swinford TT Committee.

Westport TT committee organised this some years ago for Wpt Urban Area.

All politicians accept it. Westport had it's own Town COuncil which makes it easier to do this. TCs now abolished; thank you Phil Hogan.

I will expect whoever calls to my door to have plans to reinstate Town Councils.
    It is important that the towns throughout the country prosper so that jobs can be created

dp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

nuac wrote: »
    Fair play and good luck to Swinford TT Committee.

Westport TT committee organised this some years ago for Wpt Urban Area.

All politicians accept it. Westport had it's own Town COuncil which makes it easier to do this. TCs now abolished; thank you Phil Hogan.

I will expect whoever calls to my door to have plans to reinstate Town Councils.
    It is important that the towns throughout the country prosper so that jobs can be created

More and more towns and villages are doing this, those damn poster are a scourge, especially them cable ties when left or just cut and left on ground:mad: It was done here in town for the local elections and it proved a great success. Apart from one party who put up party posters inside closed shop windows and inside the wall of one premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Go on, name and shame, which party??
    mayo.mick wrote: »
    More and more towns and villages are doing this, those damn poster are a scourge, especially them cable ties when left or just cut and left on ground:mad: It was done here in town for the local elections and it proved a great success. Apart from one party who put up party posters inside closed shop windows and inside the wall of one premises.

• Advertisement

nicol wrote: »
    Go on, name and shame, which party??

They got enough stick at the time from the local community! I'll leave it at that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's s great idea -- would love to see it catching on across the county and even across the country.
    CZz7HFuWQAATIMy.jpg

Does Swinford have bus lanes?

monument wrote: »
    It's s great idea -- would love to see it catching on across the county and even across the country.

Does Swinford have bus lanes?

We wish! Its hard enough trying to get cycle lanes :(

There are a lot of towns and villages across the country doing the same, think everyone is sick of the sight of them, especially the cable ties left behind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

We wish! Its hard enough trying to get cycle lanes :(

Just wondering as the image did not look like Swinford.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

They got enough stick at the time from the local community! I'll leave it at that

Why? if they were put up in windows only?:confused:

• Advertisement

Rockfish wrote: »
    Why? if they were put up in windows only?:confused:

If the community have decided against such posters, displaying them on private property would be considered to be anti-social, cultish and insulting to the community.

In the average Irish town there may be little public comment about breaking ranks, but when people go into vote............................

If the community have decided against such posters, displaying them on private property would be considered to be anti-social, cultish and insulting to the community.

In the average Irish town there may be little public comment about breaking ranks, but when people go into vote............................

The community decided no such thing. I presumed the tidy towns request referred to posters on poles etc? I may be wrong and obviously there was plenty of comment on this occasion

In most communities a request from a successful Tidy Towns Committee would be as potent as a "request" from the altar back in the old days

In most communities a request from a successful Tidy Towns Committee would be as potent as a "request" from the altar back in the old days

True, but without the 'fear factor'. ;)

Advertisement