Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game development for schoolkids

Options
  • 27-01-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi

DS is in coderdojo, has done scratch, app inventor, html etc. He is now in secondary and has got himself roped into making a game with some other kids to be published as an app, I understand. It's just a school project/competition thing, there are other kids doing the business/content/art/music end of things. There was a developer kid before but he quit, seemingly without producing anything and now DS has landed himself in it, with not a lot of time to spare. His predecessor was trying Unity so DS tried that too but it's a bit hard-core for him yet, when he doesn't have a whole pile of time, nor hours to put into it with all the rest he has going on.

A quick google today throws up Stencyl and Gamesalad as options that might suit him to get something put together quickly. Does anyone have any other suggestions? He has taught himself python in the past, messes around with arduino etc so is fairly savvy but it's just a time issue now really.

We don't want to get stuck paying hundreds either. I see Gamesalad charges by the month - would that just be from development to publication? I assume you don't have to keep paying forever - it's just a school project/competition thing.

Any pointers/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

brcwatters wrote: »
    Hi

DS is in coderdojo, has done scratch, app inventor, html etc. He is now in secondary and has got himself roped into making a game with some other kids to be published as an app, I understand. It's just a school project/competition thing, there are other kids doing the business/content/art/music end of things. There was a developer kid before but he quit, seemingly without producing anything and now DS has landed himself in it, with not a lot of time to spare. His predecessor was trying Unity so DS tried that too but it's a bit hard-core for him yet, when he doesn't have a whole pile of time, nor hours to put into it with all the rest he has going on.

A quick google today throws up Stencyl and Gamesalad as options that might suit him to get something put together quickly. Does anyone have any other suggestions? He has taught himself python in the past, messes around with arduino etc so is fairly savvy but it's just a time issue now really.

We don't want to get stuck paying hundreds either. I see Gamesalad charges by the month - would that just be from development to publication? I assume you don't have to keep paying forever - it's just a school project/competition thing.

Any pointers/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

You can get game maker for free to develop on as a platform for simple games, but that up there ^^^ is your problem really. To produce anything worthwhile takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

I know - I work in web development myself so I'm aware of how long stuff takes. I do think it's a fairly simple game they have in mind - questions and answers with a bit of hero/villain/boss thrown in. He's good with programming logic etc etc, it's just the syntax he doesn't really have time for now so I was looking for a sort of grown up Scratch so he can get this done and not let them down.

Will look into Gamemaker too thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

brcwatters wrote: »
    I know - I work in web development myself so I'm aware of how long stuff takes.

Surprisingly, a fact which gets lost on most employers

Advertisement