Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labyrinth Sequel

Options
  • 27-01-2016 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

How does everyone feel about this?

It was announced last week that there was a Labyrinth remake on the cards and the internet lost their mind.

The timing of the news made people feel like this was a cash grab capitalizing on Bowie's passing, this coupled with inevitable butchering of a childhood classic drew a backlash.

Writers have since come out and stated this will not be a re-make but instead a sequel.
    Guys, please don't fall for all the clickbait. No one is remaking "Labyrinth." That movie is perfect as it is.
    — Nicole Perlman (@Uncannygirl) January 24, 2016

Perlman also mentioned her personal love of the original Labyrinth and desire to keep the film true to its roots, as well as its departed creators and stars:

Labyrinth is my favorite film from childhood, so I share your concerns that any continuation of the world be handled with love and respect.
    — Nicole Perlman (@Uncannygirl) January 23, 2016

Henson Co & I started talking in late 2014, so the timing of these rumors is so upsetting. I would never seek to profit from Bowie's death.

http://screenrant.com/labyrinth-sequel-remake-writer-continuation/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've heard about Labyrinth talks for a long while, it was when Bowie died that the media went on a clickbait overdrive rather than somebody suddenly deciding to do it once he kicked the bucket.

If they want to retain any form of goodwill from fans they absolutely need the Henson Co. and have a quality mix of practical and digital effects. The Thing remake should be a valuable lesson about what happens when someone higher up decides to scrap the practical effects wrongly thinking audiences wouldn't care.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Hoggle is up to these days, he always reminded me of that one aul fella you'd find in the pub :pac:
    labyrinth-hoggle-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

He does have a bit of an Eamon Dunphy head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

giphy.gif

No Jim Henson,No Davie Bowie ,No Terry Jones,No Trevor Jones ,No Brian Froud,No George Lucas

Please God is nothing sacred .

Hollywood (and that includes you Tim Burton), please keep your money-grubbing, CGI-obsessed hands off of this masterpiece.

Firstly because if they make a sequel, you know the goblins and creatures would be crappy CGI, there is a certain feel to this film that would be lost with digital effects.

The Jareth/Sarah pairing, the baby-tossing and the rabble-rousing of not-so-kid-friendly Muppets wouldn't get past the modern PC watch.

The whole Sarah/Jareth dynamic interesting...their subtle romantic chemistry...wouldn't fly in the PC world we live in today. Either they'd make Sarah younger and eliminate it completely. Or they'd make Sarah older and Jareth younger and go for the full romance...therefore eliminating the undercurrents which made their interaction interesting in the first place.

It is precisely this strangely alluring dynamic between a blossoming young woman and a man of power, supported by a bunch of endearing gender-neutral, race-neutral characters that makes this movie work on so many levels.

I can see the pitch now ;Kanye West as the Goblin King ,Miley Cyrus as Sarah and a cgi fest written by the hack who wrote Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

giphy.gif

No Jim Henson,No Davie Bowie ,No Terry Jones,No Trevor Jones ,No Brian Froud,No George Lucas

Please God is nothing sacred .

Hollywood (and that includes you Tim Burton), please keep your money-grubbing, CGI-obsessed hands off of this masterpiece.

Firstly because if they remade it, you know the goblins and creatures would be crappy CGI, there is a certain feel to this film that would be lost with digital effects.

Did you read the article? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sheep? wrote: »
    Did you read the article? :pac:

I did ,sequel/remake it will still be garbage.

Films like Labyrinth would never be made nowadays ,Hollywood will suck the life out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I did ,sequel/remake it will still be garbage.

Films like Labyrinth would never be made nowadays ,Hollywood will suck the life out of it.

I love Labyrinth as well, but would you not reserve judgement until you see the new project? It's impossible to tell what it'll be like at this stage.

Advertisement