Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple database driven website with mobile option

Options
  • 27-01-2016 12:20am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm looking for suggestions on best approach for creating a simple database driven website where users can search for a company name and get the results displayed, or select from a category drop-down and get results.

Would like whatever solution to have good mobile support, and maybe in future to be able to develop an Android app off the same database.

I'm not massively technical, but I've developed some simple websites, and had a little database driven website running on ASP with an Access db (I know, I know....) - so looking for something "newer" to get my teeth into. This will be a project for me at first, and depending on how I get on, I might be turning it into a little business venture.

FYI my hosting provider supports ASP, Perl, MySQL, MSSQL 2012, ODBC DSN.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sounds very like you are looking for web directory software. Not sure about the MSFT options but there is a lot of such software available for MySQL/PHP. The security on some may leave a bit to be desired though. It might not be a good thing to try reinventing the wheel but before searching for the software, map out the requirements. The key factors will be the numbers of searches per second (most web directories have been murdered by Google so only a few get significant traffic), the information architecture (static pages/category pages etc) and the means of updating it (user submissions (iffy and will be spammed by meatbots) or web updatable or simple database upload/reload).

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks jmcc. This site will have a low number of hits, and I'm not that worried about Google placing - it will be for a very specific, local target and will be marketed via Facebook etc. rather than Google. Also I don't plan on users being able to submit/edit entries (at least at the start), so that part of the security should not be an issue.

Any recommendations for free MySQL/PHP software based on that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks jmcc. This site will have a low number of hits, and I'm not that worried about Google placing - it will be for a very specific, local target and will be marketed via Facebook etc. rather than Google. Also I don't plan on users being able to submit/edit entries (at least at the start), so that part of the security should not be an issue.

Any recommendations for free MySQL/PHP software based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

To really figure out what would be good for you i would need to know a little more about what the site is for...

But check out http://www.premiumpress.com/ if it is for classifieds, directory, shop or similar. Saying that you would need to change your server to PHP (linux) rather thanks ASP(microsoft).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

To really figure out what would be good for you i would need to know a little more about what the site is for...

But check out http://www.premiumpress.com/ if it is for classifieds, directory, shop or similar. Saying that you would need to change your server to PHP (linux) rather thanks ASP(microsoft).

• Advertisement
Advertisement