Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing a new socket spur.. Not in line with existing socket

Options
  • 26-01-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I want to place a new socket on a cavity wall behind a tv.. I have a question about best practice in terms of chasing cables etc.. It will be a spur from an existing socket on the same wall near the skirting board... It will not be in line with the new socket.. But a few feet away from it diagonally.. Is it enough that I chase cables into the wall horizontally and then vertically up at a right angle to the new socket? I know that doing it diagonally is definately a no no.. Im conscious of not doing something thats potentially dangerous for the next person to own the house in the distant future.. I mean it wouldn't be immediately obvious to them which way the cable is going to the new socket..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AtomsForPeace

To answer my own question.. I figured out it is safe enough as long as you chase in straight lines to visible accessories on the wall.. sockets etc..Favouring vertical over horizontal chases
    it was a dumb question but maybe some other thicko will have the same question and find this..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No such thing as a dumb question, better to ask it and be educated :)

The dumb thing to do would be the next guy drilling the wall to 'assume' where the cable is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

To answer my own question.. I figured out it is safe enough as long as you chase in straight lines to visible accessories on the wall.. sockets etc..Favouring vertical over horizontal chases it was a dumb question but maybe some other thicko will have the same question and find this..

True, the zone you have is about the width of the socket

Advertisement