Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel batteries.

Options
  • 26-01-2016 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

I have came across two deep cycle gel batteries. They were made for a mobility scooter, i think.
    They are 8GU1h batteries. 12volt but only 32a/h.
    Would they be worth fitting in my motorhome in place of the failing standard fitment leisure battery?
    It's a 2.8 diesel Ducato.
    Thanks.

Comments

Are they free?

Gel are really just for standby operation in hazardous environments and aviation. Probably the worst choice of the LA family for your application... other than a dead one.

Bike, camper ..same goes. They're crap batteries and very small. I would't part with any money for them and usually they're expensive.
    Their charge criteria are hard to meet and not much point trying. They're designed for doing loop de loops and not leaking. The charge requirements are more to preserve their precious electrolyte than anything useful like a FLA who can soak up charge bubbling away happy out. AGM are evolved gels they die younger and charge slower (lower setpoint...less watts more resistance, less internal resistance) but more efficiently (10% over flooded), not worth the expense either imho.
    Some salesman will tell you AGM charge faster..that's only compared to charging flooded on an AGM setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks Sir Liam! That's very informative, and no, they weren't free. So money saved for a proper battery!

I think I've posted this already once upon a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Gel is pants alright have to say I love everything about my ex UPS agms theyre going on 10 years old still in fabulous nick they would have been about £380 each retail though and probably never discharged in the first three years and never discharged more than 40-50% in the 7 years of my ownership so not the typical battery or of typical abuse. That being said if I couldn't get more of them I would get a flooded battery.

• Advertisement

I've 200Ah @ 48V AGMs. They were free though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I've 200Ah @ 48V AGMs. They were free though. :D

God is good :) I paid €80 for the same but they're something like 32kg each though so I can recoup a lot of that in scrap. You'll make a profit :)

Mwa! Should do they weigh in 0.25 ton with the spare 12V.
    They're tippy top though; retired after 3 years from a static inverter maintained ER lighting system after a control board let the smoke out. Insurance replaced.

I just persistently expressed interest as a local scrap merchant for such an event over the course of employment. ;D

Advertisement