Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hat hire in Dublin-something quirky?

Options
  • 26-01-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I've got a family wedding coming up soon so have to get organised quickly! It's very much going to be a "feathery fascinator" type of occasion, the other side of the bridal party love their little headpieces, any photos I've seen are just wall-to-wall small birds perched on heads. It might be apparent that I don't like fascinators very much...As I've short hair, I usually wear a sparkly clip or something like that, but I kinda feel I should go all out for this occasion. So, my question is: is there anywhere in Dublin that hires out unusual headpieces, not the "mesh bow and two feathers" type, but something different? I'm a huge fan of milliners like Philip Treacy and Stephen Jones, so something by them would be the dream (I did threaten to stick a lobster on my head a lá Lady Gaga) I don't have an outfit yet, as I'd like to base it around my headpiece if it's really dramatic. Google throws up some places, but when I look them up, they're not really all that "inspired by Philip Treacy" as they claim...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

look up facebook...there are loads of milliners who have pages and some do hire out...many will make a head piece to match your outfit or based on your ideas. Most are not too expensive either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can't stand the fascinator. Usually far from fascinating, in my opinion: and rarely does anything for a face.

And often looks as if the wearer was confessing "I hadn't the nerve for a real hat"

And most people who wear them don't get the hair right: often looks as if the thing fell on their head and stuck to their dangly hair.

As you can see, I don't like 'em.

Get a proper hat. Needn't be dear at all: I've worn straw hats from Penneys to weddings, with a ribbon or flower to match my dress. The vital thing is that the shape flatters your face and the hair suits the hat.

#lifelong crazy hat lady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can't stand the fascinator. Usually far from fascinating, in my opinion: and rarely does anything for a face.

And often looks as if the wearer was confessing "I hadn't the nerve for a real hat"

And most people who wear them don't get the hair right: often looks as if the thing fell on their head and stuck to their dangly hair.

As you can see, I don't like 'em.

Get a proper hat. Needn't be dear at all: I've worn straw hats from Penneys to weddings, with a ribbon or flower to match my dress. The vital thing is that the shape flatters your face and the hair suits the hat.

#lifelong crazy hat lady

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

katemarch wrote:
    Often looks as if the wearer was confessing "I hadn't the nerve for a real hat"

Agreed. I love hats and own far too many.

Anyway, OP, a friend of mine has a milliner friend who makes wedding/race appropriate pieces for hire, I can't link as I'm on mobile but Google Princess Palles and you'll find her.

My sister also got a FABULOUS hat which was the centrepiece of her table at the Women of the Year awards in November, I'll find out the name of the milliner and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 Palles Millners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Wow, had a look at the Princess Palles website (Facebook was acting up), they have some amazing stuff! I actually got a dress this week completely by accident so I now have a headpiece style in mind, probably a pillbox or a birdcage veil, and they have some gorgeous pieces along those lines. I'm actually getting excited about this!

Advertisement