Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle moving to left

Options
  • 26-01-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a new carbon bike and I'm really happy with it. The fit feels spot on. However when I ride it, by the time I get home, the saddle has always offset itself to the left by a few degrees. Not noticeably in one go and it feels tight before a ride but when I get home and check it its no longer parallel with the top tube. Actually looking down when I'm some way into my rise its noticeable offset. Its not a major issue but it is a little annoying.

The obvious answer is that the clamp isn't tight enough. I have a torque wrench but it wont fit as the bolt is where the top tube meets the saddle, as opposed to a clamp around the seat post, so I can only tighten by guess and I don't want to over-tighten it.

Clearly there is a slight setup issue. I'm guessing I maybe have one leg longer than the other or I am more dominant with one leg over the other.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do I just need to tighten it some more or look into getting a bit fit and some adjustment done to my cleets maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If it is turning always to one side, maybe its down to your anatomy (slight assymmetry, pun intended :P ) and it would be the best to leave it like it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

Alek wrote: »
    If it is turning always to one side, maybe its down to your anatomy (slight assymmetry, pun intended :P ) and it would be the best to leave it like it is?

That may well be the case Alek!

I think I had the same problem with my commuter but that's an Alu frame and seatpost so I wasn't worried about tightening the bejaysus out of it :D

Don't want to do that with my this bike though. I might just tighten a little more and see if it makes a difference. If only the feckin' bolt was to the side of the seatpost instead of the top tube I'd be able to us my torque wrench :mad:

If you can't seem to tighten the clamp enough, undo the bolt, grease it very slightly and try again.

I've done the mistake of tightening a dry bolt at the seatpost collar, as the seat was moving... I wasn't too impressed when it snapped mid ride... BMX style return home ;)

If you can't seem to tighten the clamp enough, undo the bolt, grease it very slightly and try again.

I've done the mistake of tightening a dry bolt at the seatpost collar, as the seat was moving... I wasn't too impressed when it snapped mid ride... BMX style return home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I have the exact same problem. I have a 2015 giant defy 1 and the seat post is d shaped and it still happens even when i tighten it as much as i dare. Its bizarre!

• Advertisement

I have the exact same problem. I have a 2015 giant defy 1 and the seat post is d shaped and it still happens even when i tighten it as much as i dare. Its bizarre!

Interesting. Have you just learned to live with it? It's not a major deal and clearly my physical build is a contributing factor. It just likes it better this way! I've no problem with aches or pains or sores and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

aimnburn wrote: »
    If only the feckin' bolt was to the side of the seatpost instead of the top tube I'd be able to us my torque wrench :mad:

If the bolt takes an allen key, get a bit holder, put that in the torque wrench and then put the appropriate bit in the bit holder. That should allow you to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

aimnburn wrote: »
    Interesting. Have you just learned to live with it? It's not a major deal and clearly my physical build is a contributing factor. It just likes it better this way! I've no problem with aches or pains or sores and that's the main thing.

Yeah theres no problem with it at all its just every time i see it my ocd alarm goes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Isn't there some kind of special goop you need to put on the seat post where it goes into the seat tube? Otherwise the two carbon bits don't grip correctly and movement ensues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

check_six wrote: »
    Isn't there some kind of special goop you need to put on the seat post where it goes into the seat tube? Otherwise the two carbon bits don't grip correctly and movement ensues?

Carbon paste stuff example

Yes and it means you don't have to use the maximum tourqe, but close to it.

I found the following a great tool for messing with my saddles and seatposts.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/5nm-torque-wrench-ec038648

I'm just using random links, i'm sure price and availability are better elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you sure you don't have the seat post set to high?

I'd imagine over stretching would cause the hips to rotate and possibly move the saddle off. Doesn't quite explain the reason it's going left but maybe you've the bike set up with your right leg and your left leg is shorter. Just a thought.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have the seat post set to high?

I'd imagine over stretching would cause the hips to rotate and possibly move the saddle off. Doesn't quite explain the reason it's going left but maybe you've the bike set up with your right leg and your left leg is shorter. Just a thought.

No I don't think so although it is of course possible. I'm not fully stretched when my foot is fully down on a pedal, there's a bend in the knee. I did check the height using the LeMonde method and I was a little higher but I take a lot of this as a guideline.

The saddle is definitely set lower than my commuter.

Carbon paste stuff example

Yes and it means you don't have to use the maximum tourqe, but close to it.

Thanks for the tip, must look into that

Advertisement