Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butt Joint Ikea Kitchen Countertop

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I am going to install an Ikea kitchen and will use their EKBACKEN worktop in my u-shaped kitchen. The counter-top only has a very small radius in the corner and I am thinking of just butt jointing it together, a cut end to a finished face to make my two 90 degree joints, I will also use some bolts to clamp it together.

Can anyone see any problems or issues doing it that way?

ikea.com/ie/en/products/kitchen-products/worktops-worktops-accessories/ekbacken-worktop-light-oak-effect-art-70275227/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

price the slightly thicker solid wood one too. I do t think there's much in the difference price wise and it gives you a bit more freedom with shapes, rounding corners off, no chance of laminate chipping, nit worrying about dishwasher rotting the underside, no edges to iron on. If you look at the sample ones in the Ikea showroom, the laminate ones don't hold up too well.
    I got the oak one (hammarp I think) and it was simple to join without using anything other than screwing into the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DaGaffer123

Cheers Colm,

Definitely going to get the laminate though, not a fan of solid wood. Don't have a dishwasher to worry about just need to make sure I get sawn ends well sealed with silicone at the joints as I plan to push a cut end against a good face to make butt joint.

Did you get any movement with the joint not bolted together?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

Google Joining Strips on the IKEA website.

Very simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cheers Colm,

Definitely going to get the laminate though, not a fan of solid wood. Don't have a dishwasher to worry about just need to make sure I get sawn ends well sealed with silicone at the joints as I plan to push a cut end against a good face to make butt joint.

Did you get any movement with the joint not bolted together?

I assumed you were getting a wood effect. I see they come in other finished too.
    No, no movement. Cabinets are bolted to the wall, counters are screwed to the cabinets. All solid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What color is the worktop?

I used black silicone on mine to join them rather than joiner strips and its still perfect after 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Biscuit joint it & put bolts across it underneath - just got mine done last week - oak with plenty of 'osmo' on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

BryanF wrote: »
    Biscuit joint it & put bolts across it underneath - just got mine done last week - oak with plenty of 'osmo' on it!

Sorry to go off topic but what made you ditch the concrete counter top option you were toying with. Just curious about the negatives you found with going for it.

Advertisement