Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best film with no weapons (guns/knives/swords etc.)?

Options
  • 26-01-2016 8:59am

It is surprising, when you think about it, how few films do not have weapons of any kind in them.

Looking at the IMDB Top 250, only 1 of the 25 highest rated films does not have a gun, knife or sword in it – One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (unless it has one I can't remember). Some even have weapons on their posters.

If you had to name some great films which do not have a weapon of any kind of them, which ones would you choose?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It is surprising, when you think about it, how few films do not have weapons of any kind in them.

Looking at the IMDB Top 250, only 1 of the 25 highest rated films does not have a gun, knife or sword in it – One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (unless it has one I can't remember). Some even have weapons on their posters.

If you had to name some great films which do not have a weapon of any kind of them, which ones would you choose?

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

Unless you count a cap gun.

mike1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Who has a gun in citizen Kane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Finding Nemo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't consider 'no weaponry' cinema a particularly unique thing. The ubiquity of weapons is easily understandable from a dramatic point - a dangerous item is one of the easiest, most universal ways to advance a narrative or add tension, particularly in popular genres such as horror, thrillers or action movies (to name but three). In other genres again - war films, police dramas, samurai films - the presence of weapons is near essential from a historical or contextual perspective. At the same time, though, there's other genres where weapons are naturally uncommon - kids movies or romantic comedies/dramas being the most obvious examples.

Still, even beyond that, I think there's plenty of films where weapons are either non-existent or incredibly fleeting. In fact, if I think of the films I'd usually be inclined to list as my 'favourites' - Playtime, My Neighbour Totoro, Persona, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Tokyo Story - are all weapon-free. If I'm mistaken there it's definitely only a fleeting appearance of anything potentially deadly!

I was going to include Lost in Translation on that list above, but it features a toy pellet gun. I'm inclined to give that one a pass too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

E.T. The version where they edited out all the weapons.

Serious answer; The Lion King.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

dan1895 wrote: »
    Serious answer; The Lion King.
    Claws are kinda knives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Glengarry Glen Ross

A masterpiece in fine acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

My Dinner With Andre

Hell it even breaks Godard's rule of having a gun AND a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bizarro Stormy

Kes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bizarro Stormy

e_e wrote: »
    My Dinner With Andre

Hell it even breaks Godard's rule of having a gun AND a girl.

As does My Dinner with Andre the Giant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ballyargus wrote: »
    Who has a gun in citizen Kane

there's a big shootout towards the end, Kane standing on a desk with a glock in each hand, big cigar in his mouth. He escapes in a chopper eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a big shootout towards the end, Kane standing on a desk with a glock in each hand, big cigar in his mouth. He escapes in a chopper eventually.
    It's well noted that Arnie plagiarized "get to da choppa!" from a deleted Citizen Kane scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Annie Hall, 2001, 2010, The Lives of Others, Gattica, MOON.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think Scarface has barely any guns in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The social network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I forgot one of the best ever: "12 Angry Men".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

One of the better films in the last few years for me was Dallas Buyers Club, really good film, can't remember if there was any weapons in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Cast away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its a wonderful life !

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Dont remember any weapons in Withnail and I but its a long time since Ive seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A good blend in this years Oscar nominations - Brooklyn, Spotlight, The Big Short, The Martian & Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Icaras wrote:
    Dont remember any weapons in Withnail and I but its a long time since Ive seen it.

Even Withnail had a shotgun 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I forgot one of the best ever: "12 Angry Men".

One knife and pretty important to the whole movie ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV0UwZz-t5XBz9FDRlcids7nwYvONsUd0b-PL-4Jwf4zS9crXGow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

One knife and pretty important to the whole movie ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV0UwZz-t5XBz9FDRlcids7nwYvONsUd0b-PL-4Jwf4zS9crXGow

Two knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The wolf of wall street?
    A large proportion of romantic comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Even Withnail had a shotgun 😉

I stand corrected and am going to suggest Little Miss Sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Bourne Trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The tree of life. Covered a lot of ground in that film without any weapons that I can remember

Advertisement