Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Honor 7

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Maybe the search function is acting up but I was surprised on here and searching on google for boards.ie posts to find relatively little about the Huawei Honor 7. Gets great reviews on Amazon, particularly in France and Germany: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-4G-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B0144ODO9G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453757403&sr=8-3&keywords=huawei+honor+7 Can be had for £249 (326 Euro) on Huawei's site: https://www.vmall.eu/uk/honor-7-silver-281216/

I'm coming from Windows Phone and will be using Android for the first time. I have a Lumia 1520 and was thinking I'd go for a huge screen but with a baby around maybe ability to hold in one hand is now more important so 5inch is fine. Was tempted by the premium-end phones like Galaxy S6/Edge+ and Nexus 6P looks great. Was disappointed none of those had microSD slot.

Seems the Honor 7 doesn't have great battery life (though reviews suggest a day with moderate usage, which is me) and doesn't have NFC (which I doubt I'd use anyway). Camera seems good (albeit no optical image stabilisation), 16Gb can be expanded to 128GB, octa-core processor, looks and build quality seem surprisingly good for the money. Wanted to check if I'm missing something as it seems almost too good to be true for this money?

Main downside seems to be the EMUI operating system. How easy is it to flash it with the latest version of standard Android and would that be doable & advisable (guessing XDA has the detail on this but would be good to get a top-level steer before I go delving in).

Also seems the Honor X5 will be launched soon and is another step down in price but bar the 16MP vs 20MP camera, not glaring drops in specs and build quality looks good also so am tempted to give that a look (baby-destruction-replacement costs in mind).

Advertisement