Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fota or Cork GC

Options
  • 25-01-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

A chairde,

a group of us from college play once a year during Easter. we like to play a nice course and don't mind paying a little bit extra. we have played adare, dromoland, lahinch, glasson in the last few years.
    this year we are heading to cork and we were thinking fota. rang them there the last day and they said that 9 holes from the open course would be open and then another new 9 for €60

cork gc --€50

none of us know anything about the new 9 in fota and would have liked to have played the 18 holes which held the open in 2014.

any advice or recommendations lads and ladies? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hi
    My own tuppence
    Cork Golf Club is one of the best courses in the country and probably the best in Cork. Thats where I would be heading anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

fearruanua wrote: »
    A chairde,

a group of us from college play once a year during Easter. we like to play a nice course and don't mind paying a little bit extra. we have played adare, dromoland, lahinch, glasson in the last few years.
    this year we are heading to cork and we were thinking fota. rang them there the last day and they said that 9 holes from the open course would be open and then another new 9 for €60

cork gc --€50

none of us know anything about the new 9 in fota and would have liked to have played the 18 holes which held the open in 2014.

any advice or recommendations lads and ladies? thanks
    Fota and it's not even close, Cork GC is the most overrated course........ on the planet.
    When booking Fota insist on playing the original 18, the new 9 is poor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Fota and it's not even close, Cork GC is the most overrated course........ on the planet.
    When booking Fota insist on playing the original 18, the new 9 is poor in comparison.

on the day we are playing the new nine will def be in play. back nine of the original course will be our front nine plus the new nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

on the day we are playing the new nine will def be in play. back nine of the original course will be our front nine plus the new nine.

Then run a mile. Fota is good, but unless its the old 18 then it becomes v poor as the new 9 is pretty bland and a major slog.

Cork Gc is one of the great parkland courses in Ireland.
    Traditional, and not overly long so enjoyable for all, the loop from the 3rd to the 9th is just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

back nine of the original course will be our front nine plus the new nine.

I personally prefer the back 9 of the Irish Open (Deerpark) course to the front 9. The new 9 is a bit strange, you start with 2 par 5s, which are fairly dull. So that'll be 3 par 5s in a row, if you include the Deerpark 18th, which will be your 9th.

But the new 9 gets better as you go along - holes 6, 7 and 8 are nice but tough.

In terms of Cork GC v Fota. I prefer Cork GC too, but it took around 4 or 5 rounds for it to grow on me. It doesn't have the championship feel, like Fota does. If it's your first time playing both, I'd plump for Fota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭moycullen14

If you decide on Fota, try and insist on the championship 18. The configuration above is a complete a*se. You start Par 5, Par 3 and it gets worse from there.
    Holes 8 through 13 will be Pars 3,5,5,5,3,5 making it one of the longest stretches of holes without a par 4 I've ever come across.

The new 9 isn't too bad - it suffers in comparison to the original which is great. The problem isn't the holes so much - it's just that the flow is all wrong.

FWIW, I think Cork is a much better course, even if the new bunkering is a bit crap. Also, the food there is better and great value. As someone above said, the latter half of the first nine is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

If you got the Irish Open 18 then Fota all the way. I do have a soft spot for Cork GC though!!

To throw a spanner in the works how about Castlemartyr? Generally a drier course than others around

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Why is Cork GC the most overrated course on the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

Fota is a great course. I like all 27 holes but the original 18 are the best.

It feels like a big championship course. Its always in fantastic condition and its great for all levels. Its not very punishing off the tee so if you have a few less than great golfers they can enjoy it too.

Having said that i think i prefer Cork GC. The run of holes from 2-14 i think are up there with any in the country.

If you get it on a nice day you have the lovely white sand bunkers that you rarely see in Ireland with the blue water in the background (although on a dull day with the tide out its not so pretty !)

There is great variety of holes, parkland, then down by the water, then into a quarry. Its constantly changing and is great to play.

The last 4 holes are just plain, fairly standard parkland holes though so the finish is a bit flat.

Its not a particularly long course either but id certainly put it up there with the best in the country. Id actually rate it above the likes of Adare (not sure how many would agree with me though)

Thanks for all the feedback lads. Much appreciated.
    based on the majority of feedback we're going to go with Cork GC.
    playing on the 31st march so i'll let ye know after how we got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

You will really enjoy it I reckon, hopefully you can bring some dry weather with ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Make sure ye eat in the clubhouse. The food is excellent and the portions are huge. Very friendly staff in there as well. There's a dress code, so you need to be in trousers and shirt or polo shirt.

Not jeans, t-shirts etc. Fota new 9 is terrible in my opinion. Either play the Deerpark course or don't play it at all.

bailey99 wrote: »
    There's a dress code, so you need to be in trousers and shirt or polo shirt.

Not jeans, t-shirts etc.

Really???

We usually shower after our round, put on the glad rags(denim jeans and a medley of shirts usually :D) for the night out and head to the clubhouse for grub.
    I got asked alright to leave royal portrush clubhouse a few years back for wearing denim. so you're saying the same could happen in cork gc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Really???

We usually shower after our round, put on the glad rags(denim jeans and a medley of shirts usually :D) for the night out and head to the clubhouse for grub.
    I got asked alright to leave royal portrush clubhouse a few years back for wearing denim. so you're saying the same could happen in cork gc?

More than likely. Phone up and ask if you want to be certain. Plenty of golf clubs still frown on denim jeans but rarely do much about it if you wear them - assuming you're not a hipster with designer rips so your arse is hanging out, or you like to show off your Hanes/St Bernard boxer shorts cos your Ma never taught you to pull your trousers up.

The 3rd nine at Fota is improving but it's not in the same league as the original championship 18 - not yet anyway.

If you want to see some photos:
    Cork Golf Club
    Fota Island

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

No doubt about it you will be asked to change or leave if you are wearing denim . As for the debate it would be fota ten times out of ten for me , i just think cork gc has a few very dull holes and has the dreaded tee shot over the last green you played !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Good choice selecting Cork GC -sayeth the member 😜 - re denims .. Unfortunately they re an absolute no no. Polo shirt and whatever trousers.

thanks lads. good to know.
    thanks for the pics kev

Good choice selecting Cork GC -sayeth the member 😜 - re denims .. Unfortunately they re an absolute no no. Polo shirt and whatever trousers.

Any info on membership availability? Would love to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Any info on membership availability? Would love to join.

14k to spare?

is that entrance money? how much is the sub.

I'd be interested, membership there for the next 40 years works out at 350 euro per year for the entrance money, I could live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

is that entrance money? how much is the sub.

I'd be interested, membership there for the next 40 years works out at 350 euro per year for the entrance money, I could live with that.

There is a "deal " for family members on the joining fee if that's any good . Sub bottom line which includes food levy, Gui, golf sure is €1600 per annum

So 12 of us played Cork Golf Club over the Easter. 11 out of the 12 had never played before which was a bit of disadvantage as there are a few holes that you haven't a clue of which line to pick. 5th and 6th I think. Green fee was €50 which is saucy enough especially with 12 of playing on a wednesday afternoon and the condition of the course.

Every hole I thought was different. You really had to think your way around. Some very short par 4's and I thought the par 3's were all great holes. The par 5 fifth I think is a class hole down beside the sea/river. Course was in fairly good condition. Standing water on some of the fairways and the greens were only ok. 17th green was in very poor condition though. Down low in the middle of trees so I'd say it doesn't get much sun for most of the year.

I three putted the 17th and the 18th for 36 points. 37 points won our cup(annual event every easter). I am quickly becoming the sergio, monty, westwood of the group. Finish second most years but yet to win. : (

Went to the clubhouse for some grub afterwards. They do a 16oz steak special for €20. all i'll say is mother of god, what a feed. waitress was excellent. keep coming out with extra chips and mash and veg.

all in all an enjoyable day on a good course. i'd love to come back and play again during the summer months because I'd say the greens would be lovely and it helps if have played some of the blind shots before.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the whole cork v fota debate.

Why is Cork GC the most overrated course on the planet?

IDK ask their members???.

Went to the clubhouse for some grub afterwards. They do a 16oz steak special for €20. all i'll say is mother of god, what a feed. waitress was excellent. keep coming out with extra chips and mash and veg.

The food in Cork Golf Club is legendary. The steaks have actually gotten smaller in the last 2 years or so. A few years back, mother of god, you'd only be fit for the leaba if you ate everything. I go for the chicken maryland when I'm playing there for 11 or 12 euro. Insane feed and super quality.

I used the Boards 'debate' about Cork Golf Club as my entry point for the course feature article in this month's Irish Golfer Magazine. Page 98-102 if anyone's interested.

I used the Boards 'debate' about Cork Golf Club as my entry point for the course feature article in this month's Irish Golfer Magazine. Page 98-102 if anyone's interested.

Cool, where do I forward on the bill for the royalties cheque???

Cool, where do I forward on the bill for the royalties cheque???

You could try Cork Golf Club...:eek:

Advertisement