Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android TV box ?

Options
  • 25-01-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

So I started looking into getting an android TV box with XBMC and the streaming stuff.

So many to choose from. A question for the owners of TV boxes:

Q: Which is the best on the market at the moment ?

Q: Are you happy with your one ?

Q: Do you think a box like this can replace "normal" TV subscription ?.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN1KIqjCLwE Bought one of these just before Christmas, works flawlessly, no issues whatsoever, plays hi definition video effortlessly, no stalling, buffering etc. Got it from a chinese website through their european warehouse, delivery took just over a week.. ( don't think ones allowed to mention the site on here for some reason!).. The only thing that you would require extra is a wireless remote/keyboard for inputting text and navigation...the remote that comes with it ( and most android boxes ) is useless. I got mine on a sale for 59.99 delivered. In my opinion these little boxes could and probably will replace normal tv if the owner knows how to configure them with the right XBMC/KODI addons and other available apps..( Not allowed to discuss on here)...you'll never be stuck for something to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

VidaLoca wrote: »
    Hi,

So I started looking into getting an android TV box with XBMC and the streaming stuff.

So many to choose from. A question for the owners of TV boxes:

Q: Which is the best on the market at the moment ?

Q: Are you happy with your one ?

Q: Do you think a box like this can replace "normal" TV subscription ?.

Thanks

A1. I don't think their is 'best', it all depends on your budget/requirements.

A2. I have a few and am happy. Amazon Fire box is my favourite (at the moment).

A3. No (but I could be wrong), I would not like to have to rely on one for live TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

eamonnq wrote: »
    A1. I don't think their is 'best', it all depends on your budget/requirements.

A2. I have a few and am happy. Amazon Fire box is my favourite (at the moment).

A3. No (but I could be wrong), I would not like to have to rely on one for live TV.

+1 on A3. As great as these devices are for sourcing all kinds of content and apps, you would want to be fairly patient with them at times and accept that it is possible for certain sources to go down on occasion.

I use an older box now, minix Neo x7 and am very happy...it does what I ask of it and its 2 years old at this stage. Stable firmware on these things is crucial...when I first got the Minix it was a complete car crash.

Personally, i would aim for a box that seems to have a good community behind it. Freaktab is a handy websote for checking such things.

Terrrifc supplmentary devices for movies etc, but when it comes to regular tv I'd stick with what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 VidaLoca

Thanks for the advice !

So, I wont be saving my few euros from my TV just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks for the advice !

So, I wont be saving my few euros from my TV just yet :)

I have two Minix boxes (X7 + X8 Plus). I have Freesat and Saorview in three rooms so my monthly TV costs are zero and it is perfect!

I miss out on nothing (sports, films etc). The wife has her soaps, Big Bro etc so she is happy. The kids stream everything so are also very happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 VidaLoca

branners69 wrote: »
    I have two Minix boxes (X7 + X8 Plus). I have Freesat and Saorview in three rooms so my monthly TV costs are zero and it is perfect!

I miss out on nothing (sports, films etc). The wife has her soaps, Big Bro etc so she is happy. The kids stream everything so are also very happy!

So, what do I need to connect to Saorview ? I have an old aerial & a SKY satellite dish. Are they any good or will I need to get a new one installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

So, what do I need to connect to Saorview ? I have an old aerial & a SKY satellite dish. Are they any good or will I need to get a new one installed ?

One TV has Saorview built in and I have two boxes which I got in Power City. The Power City boxes also handle satellite so you could be good to go with the aerial and sat dish!

Something like this!

There are also android boxes which will handle Saorview or Freesat (not both!) Wetek make such boxes!

Advertisement