Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaf ID

Options
  • 24-01-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as this almost certainly a non-native tree, it might be better off in the Gardening forum, but I'll give it a go anyway. It's a smallish sized tree in the grounds of Rathmichael church, a ruined church, graveyard and round tower in South County Dublin, just off the route of the Dublin Mountains Way. It looks pretty well established so if it is a garden escapee, it happened a good while ago I'd say.

The leaves are about 10cm x 5cm, very waxy, thin and much paler on the back side. The tip is noticeably rounded. No fruit observed, and no flowers although there some buds forming.

Any ideas?

1zfhca1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

looks like griselinia to me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cd07 wrote: »
    looks like griselinia to me
    Yes, I think we've established that it is over on the other thread in Nature and Birdwatching. I've always associated it with hedges, so was thrown a bit by it being a tree like that.

Advertisement