Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health care support FTC5

Options
  • 23-01-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi I am in my mid 50s and have been offered the above course. For someone my age is it possible to do the above course? I will still be payed by the EDB for the 42 weeks but I am just worried about the study etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hi,
    if its a part time course, you will be attend two afternoons per week, and maybe a Saturday per month for a year.
    Usually starts with communication module, and goes on with health and safety, care skills. There are some assignments 1-2 in each module, usually 1000-2000 words but nothing complicated.
    If you want to make a good use of the course it requires a weekly 10-12 hours of study. Lots of internet based research, but its easy. If you just want to pass, I think 6-8 hours will be just fine.
    There is a mandatory 100 hours of work experience in the course which is outside the class time. Nursing homes preferred and the student must find the place, but usually the tutors have good knowledge where to apply to.
    Summary: its a very interesting course, and if you are able to manage your time wisely, it should be no problem to reach distinctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Thanks for the advice sderref ! I am already nearly 2 months into the course. Its full time 8.30 to 4.45 with for 42 weeks including placement and 13 modules. I have already completed two assignments and got distinctions on both surprisingly. I find if you listen and make an effort especially with the conclusion its fairly easy to get a distinction if you personalize it. The Anatomy and Physiology exam will be hard as its at a very high level but we will see when that comes in May.

Did you find work and how do you find it? I have my placement with a private nursing home and am a little apprehensive but like everything I will get used to it. Thanks again for the info and hopefully some one else will find this helpful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

blowin3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice sderref ! I am already nearly 2 months into the course. Its full time 8.30 to 4.45 with for 42 weeks including placement and 13 modules. I have already completed two assignments and got distinctions on both surprisingly. I find if you listen and make an effort especially with the conclusion its fairly easy to get a distinction if you personalize it. The Anatomy and Physiology exam will be hard as its at a very high level but we will see when that comes in May.

Did you find work and how do you find it? I have my placement with a private nursing home and am a little apprehensive but like everything I will get used to it. Thanks again for the info and hopefully some one else will find this helpful .

Good for you,fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Tasden wrote: »
    Good for you,fair play!

Thanks for the nice comments!

Advertisement