Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car feels sluggish after driving for 30 mins

Options
  • 23-01-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to what the problem is. I don't feel any problems when going for short spins. However, when I have driven for about 30 mins or so the acceleration slows a lot, can't get above 70 kph in 5th gear. When I release the pedal the car seems to decelerate quicker than usual. If I pull up to a red light and begin to move off the car feels really heavy and gives of a groan. When I stop the car I can hear a knocking sound, couldn't locate the exact source of the sound. Also, not sure if it's related but it begins to whistle a bit into the trip, usually turning or braking stops the whistle for a short while, again only starts whistling after 30 mins or so. The car is a 00 fiesta. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Probably brakes binding due to a sticking caliper or wheel cylinder - check and see if any of the wheels are hot when you loose power. If one is noticeably hotter than the others there is your problem. Should be easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Treblin

No it's not the calipers anyway, had to change one before. Neither side is very hot after a trip. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pete67 wrote: »
    Probably brakes binding due to a sticking caliper or wheel cylinder - check and see if any of the wheels are hot when you loose power. If one is noticeably hotter than the others there is your problem. Should be easily fixed.

Fuel filter?,or maybe water in the petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Treblin wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to what the problem is. I don't feel any problems when going for short spins. However, when I have driven for about 30 mins or so the acceleration slows a lot, can't get above 70 kph in 5th gear. When I release the pedal the car seems to decelerate quicker than usual. If I pull up to a red light and begin to move off the car feels really heavy and gives of a groan. When I stop the car I can hear a knocking sound, couldn't locate the exact source of the sound. Also, not sure if it's related but it begins to whistle a bit into the trip, usually turning or braking stops the whistle for a short while, again only starts whistling after 30 mins or so. The car is a 00 fiesta. Thanks for any help you can offer.

My first thought was brakes sticking too. Bar that take it to a mechanic.
    It will be hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the car.
    It could be anything from ignition coils, duff spark plugs , lack of oil, blocked fuel filter, failing fuel pump, timing belt/chain skipped a tooth.

Advertisement