Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out with the old Showrunner, In with the New...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Remember when RTD was on the way out and people were sick of him? And they announced Moffat and there was a good buzz, because he'd written some excellent and memorable episodes at that stage.

And am feeling no good buzz over this announcement.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

And. No new episodes until bloody Christmas. Ah here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,261 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Moffat's next season will be his last as Chris Chibnall replaces him as showrunner for Season 11...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

Only an Xmas special this year? That's a really bad decision. Could have at least done the same as Series 7 where they had half the series, then the Xmas special, then the rest of the series.

Either way, I've thoroughly enjoyed Moffat's tenure. Some real bad points throughout, but overall the overarching stories, the characters and most of the enemies have been fantastic. Some of the episodes have been truly spectacular, and he gave us two amazing Doctors. For me he far exceeded Russell T Davis' run (considering his episodes tended to be the best during Davis' time too).

Small shoes to fill, but they're bigger on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm happy to see Moffat leave at this point. He's been there a season or two too long if you ask me. I don't have much opinion on Chris Chibnall, good or bad, to be honest, so I'm happy to just wait and see what he comes up with.

I was one of those people glad to see the back of RTD and delighted that Moffat was taking over, but 5 seasons later, I'm jaded with Moffat now at this point too. I think they just constantly need to be bringing in new showrunners like they do with new Doctors, to keep things fresh. Hopefully Chibnall will learn from Moffat's mistake and try not to make the overall story-arc overly complex. Sure have some great stand-alone complex episodes, but when it comes to a season arc, keep it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

With the exception of the first series of Broadchurch (which was great), Chibnall's made a career of solid showings. Likewise, his previous Who efforts have been competent popcorn shows, so we're in for something of an overhaul (stating the obvious). He was head-writer on the first two series of Torchwood, since RTD was too busy with the mothership, but I try, actively, not to hold that against him.

Actively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

A whole frigging year!

I propose we bring back Paul McGann back for a few specials in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

A whole frigging year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A whole frigging year!

www.bigfinish.com
    Plenty of Paul McGann goodness there.
    Meanwhile, I have to say, I'm a little disappointed it's not going to be Toby Whithouse taking the reigns but I'm not going to dismiss Chibnall until I've seen what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I enjoyed Moffats reign.

Though nothing this year?? Very odd...

Something not right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mixed feelings about this one; I can imagine Chibnall's appointment was in no small part due to Broadchurch (apart from his previous involvement in Dr. Who of course), and while I haven't seen it myself, I got the impression it really left its mark on the TV landscape when it aired. Certainly if column inches and breathless Facebook posts are anything to go by. He star is on the rise by all accounts.

On the other hand, Chibnall was responsible for Torchwood series 1 and 2. Let that one sink in for a moment.
    He wrote 'Cyberwoman'.
    Yeah, exactly.
    His Dr. Who copybook isn't exactly overflowing with hits either, with some genuine turkeys along the way. All that said, being chief writer is as much an administration role as it is a writing one, so perhaps this is where Chibnall will shine. And if I'm being completely honest, I'd rather take Chibnall than someone like Mark Gatiss, who had been suggested for the role previously.

My main disppoaintment of course is a total lack of Dr. Who in 2016, bar a throwaway Xmas special, which, after the one just gone, I spare no love for. This forum's going to get pretty quiet too ;) Series 9 was a good 'un and seems a shame not to at least try to capitalise on the good will generated by it.

I am wondering if perhaps the supposed inclusion of Peter Jackson in the directors roster is the reason for break: that the only way they could fit him into Series 10 was by stalling its production 'til late '16, early '17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I read somewhere that the BBC made a comment regarding wanting Doctor Who back in the summer months for stronger ratings and with Euro 2016, Rio 2016 and other stuff happening this year its been rested till following year personally i think no Doctor Who cause they want Moffat to work on Sherlock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Well Moffats best episodes were before he was showrunner. Then he took over and gave us mess after mess for a few years. Only this last series has actually been good in my eyes. So interested to see how Chibnall will do. Enjoyed his work in the past. It just amazes me how people are up in arms because they don't like Cyberwoman, The Hungry earth etc. Doesn't mean whats to come will be the same.

Look at how it worked out for Moffat......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Anyone else think that when series 10 ends that we will see the departure of Moffat and Peter Capaldi, letting Chibnall start with a blank slate ?

malcy wrote: »
    Well Moffats best episodes were before he was showrunner. Then he took over and gave us mess after mess for a few years. Only this last series has actually been good in my eyes. So interested to see how Chibnall will do. Enjoyed his work in the past. It just amazes me how people are up in arms because they don't like Cyberwoman, The Hungry earth etc. Doesn't mean whats to come will be the same.

In your opinion of course, personally I thought Series 5 was one of the best series ever and the 11th Doctor a revelation in the role.
    Actually in a poll run by Doctor Who magazine of the greatest story of them all Day of the Doctor came top so it appears Moffat's best episode was during his run.
    It hasn't been perfect but then again neither was Russell T Davies series and I very much doubt Chibnall will be, or would Gattiss or Whithouse have been if they had got the gig.
    All we can do is enjoy the bits we like, and grumble about the bits we don't here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Anyone else think that when series 10 ends that we will see the departure of Moffat and Peter Capaldi, letting Chibnall start with a blank slate ?

It was rumoured a while back that it would be announced in February that the next series would be "series x" 10 hour long episodes, Moffat and Capaldi to leave and the series to end in a way that would set up a complete reboot
    Looks like at least some of that is true

I wonder now if Chibnall will have any input into the selection of the new companion for S10 as in all likelihood he's going to inherite her/him/them for his first season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

malcy wrote: »

I think 'mess after mess' is as hyperbolic as 'up in arms' tbh: I think one thing worth remembering about Moffat, however one feels about his later work, was that he went from guest writer to being the man in charge; going from supplying one, two scripts per season to four or five, along with providing the core arcs and themes. Quality was always going to dip in deference to the quantity demanded. But we can debate the merits of Moffats tenure 'til the dead of the night.

Ostensibly, Chibnall's CV doesn't look as impressive as his predecessors, and his previous contributions to Who have been underwhelming at best, and yeah, pretty terrible at worst. It's hardly unreasonable to look to someone's previous work to get a sense on what they might produce in the future.

'42' was pretty OK, and honestly I enjoyed Power of Three before the final act drove the story off a cliff. His Torchwood scripts were adolescent and crude, with Cyberwoman being a low-point; now, being fair, that could have been a problem with the direction he was given from on-high about what direction Torchwood was to take. Season 1 often felt like something a 12 year old would imagine 'adult' to be, so maybe Chibnall just wrote based off some miscalculated template from Russell T Davies or BBC3

Got to give the man the benefit of the doubt, but he has scarcely been the Golden Child of the Who writing staff.

Who knows, maybe Peter Jackson will take over for a season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,261 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Who knows, maybe Peter Jackson will take over for a season ;)

You mean rather than twelve 45min episodes, we might get thirty 90min episodes (half of which is walking and camping)?

Penn wrote: »
    You mean rather than twelve 45min episodes, we might get thirty 90min episodes (half of which is walking and camping)?

But the scenery would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I actually enjoyed all the series of Torchwood (apart from Miracle Day) so it might not be too bad.

Waiting a year will not be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I actually enjoyed all the series of Torchwood (apart from Miracle Day) so it might not be too bad.

ebbsy wrote: »

Chibnall was only involved with Series 1 and 2.

Advertisement