Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers Ireland - Should we be questioning the pay and privileges there?

Options
  • 22-01-2016 10:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a reminder for my EI renewal this week. I hadnt opened the original as it comes at a bad time of the year and I usually pay it in January.

Anyway, I opened it today and I noticed that its gone up. There was an increase this year. There was some commentary on first increase in 7 years etc etc.

With the recent IFA salary scandal I googled the new director general and her time at the IMO and found this
    Ms Caroline Spillane is the Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Council. Ms Spillane received a salary of €136,276 in 2014 covering the period from 1 January 2014 to the 31 December 2014. The gross salary paid includes an adjustment in line with requirements specified under the Haddington Road Agreement. The pension entitlements of the Chief Executive Officer do not extend beyond the pension entitlements in the public sector defined benefit superannuation scheme.

from here

I assume that she took a nice bump to join EI on top of this.

So the question is should EI members be questioning the pay and perks of our 'leaders' in Clyde Road.

There are 4 directors in EI. How much do these get paid?

From my dealings with them there is approx 25-30 people in there.

They have sigiganifcant revenue generation arms other than membership fees (cpd courses, cpd accredited employer scheme, 3rd level accreditation). On the flip side they do fund the divisions/regions and causes like Young Engineers Week.

So the question is should we be questioning the pay and privileges at EI?

I'll caveat everything I have/will say about EI. I worked there for 2 years and have never personally paid for my membership except once (while working for EI!).

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I think members should know what the pay scale is so.

I'm not a member though and haven't been since my student membership ran out years ago so I it's not really anything to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

I've my professional review coming up this year, so am tied to paying the membership fee. Likewise when (if) I get chartered, I'll be tied to paying the fees every year.

Otherwise there would be very little point.

Seems like a nice arrangement for the well-paid directors - a virtual monopoly for accreditation of civil engineers and subsequent handcuffing of the members to subscription fees for life.

As I said before - At least the IFA achieve results for its members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Financial statement for 2014/2015 here.

€1.98 million expenditure on 40 staff members' salary and €154,000 additional on pensions. With an income of €3.3 million from subscriptions.

Check out the actuarial losses on the pension scheme for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

Has anyone done a check of equivalent institutions such as Architects, Accountants, Geologists, Solicitors?

Director Salary Vs membership numbers, turnover, earnings... or.... median salary of members?!

If someone had the time, it would be incredibly interesting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The annual report is very interesting

The lost two staff members from 2013 yet staff costs went up €30k. Average salary of €50k. Total staff costs of €2,134,593

Their membership count is from 01/01/2012 and approx 22000. They have no current figures?

They had a total surplus of €909,229. Over €3m in the bank. They also appear to have reserves of €5,281,716

They have a charge of €80k for a car

This is also interesting

13. Cpd accreditation
    the institution of engineers of ireland acknowledge that they have received contributions from the department
    of Jobs, enterprise and innovation in relation to the national training Fund

Doesnt state the value

I would say pensions would be for senior manamgnet only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The annual report is very interesting

They lost two staff members from 2013 yet staff costs went up €30k. Average salary of €50k. Total staff costs of €2,134,593

Their membership count is from 01/01/2012 and approx 22000. They have no current figures?

They had a total surplus of €909,229. Over €3m in the bank. They also appear to have reserves of €5,281,716

They have a charge of €80k for a car

This is also interesting

13. Cpd accreditation
    the institution of engineers of ireland acknowledge that they have received contributions from the department
    of Jobs, enterprise and innovation in relation to the national training Fund

Doesnt state the value

I would say pensions would be for senior manamgnet only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Haven't been an EI member for many years, but still volunteer for STEPS events.

I think the pay should be questioned, but moreso how effective (or not) EI is as a representative body. In broad terms, what does the engineering profession as a whole get from having EI as its representative? Maybe it's a great behind-the-scenes lobby group with a real focus on engineers' needs, but I certainly don't see it. Some token EI pay/cost reductions won't make any difference to working engineers, but having proper representation really would.

As a contrast, other professional bodies like the IMO and Law Society clearly work hard for their members' interests. Even the IFA (forgetting about the daft salaries) is a strong, visible presence for farmers.

CatFromHue, this should be an issue for every engineer, EI member or not. There's only one body in the country, so we can't just switch to an alternative.

Some token EI pay/cost reductions won't make any difference to working engineers, but having proper representation really would.

Great point - if we felt that EI was providing adequate representation, we wouldn't be having such a debate.

The problem is that we have no effective means to show/voice our concern. As you said, there's no alternative body in the country. Refuse to pay subs and we're stripped of Chartered Status!

Very very frustrating.

onrail wrote: »
    Great point - if we felt that EI was providing adequate representation, we wouldn't be having such a debate.

The problem is that we have no effective means to show/voice our concern. As you said, there's no alternative body in the country. Refuse to pay subs and we're stripped of Chartered Status!

Very very frustrating.

There is nothing stopping you joining ICE.

godtabh wrote: »
    There is nothing stopping you joining ICE.

Good point, but I wouldn't have any expectations of ICE to perform any of the duties listed above in Ireland.

• Advertisement

onrail wrote: »
    Good point, but I wouldn't have any expectations of ICE to perform any of the duties listed above in Ireland.

Unfortunately that's the reality

Advertisement