Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Super Hero Film

Options
  • 22-01-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

Running this opposite ''Worst Super Hero Film'' thread..

So best Super Hero film either animated or live action

Take it away, and remember play nice..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

For me, it has to be The Avengers. Built upon a foundation made by the 5 preceding MCU movies, it did the impossible task of bringing all these great, big characters together and giving them their dues, while being tremendous fun along the way. Joss Whedon earned his fee with that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

For me, it has to be The Avengers. Built upon a foundation made by the 5 preceding MCU movies, it did the impossible task of bringing all these great, big characters together and giving them their dues, while being tremendous fun along the way. Joss Whedon earned his fee with that movie!

Very close between avengers assemble and winter soldier for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Batman dark knight tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Very close between avengers assemble and winter soldier for me...

Same, plus Batman Begins. They are all very different movies so it's hard to pick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm going to go a little left field and nominate "The Incredibles"

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I'm going to go a little left field and nominate "The Incredibles"

Great shout, in fairness. It had pretty much everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yerfavagent

For me it would be Unbreakable staring Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson

Really? I thought that sucked...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I really need to watch that movie again. I haven't seen it since it came out but I remember loving it. I saw that movie and thought that this was what superhero movies are meant to be. I'm a bit scared of watching it in case it isn't as good as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll throw a shout out for Blade maybe not the best but one hell of a good fun film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would have picked Unbreakable too, and it doesn't get half as much praise as it should imo: I think it suffers from arriving just before the big explosion in superhero cinema that happened around the early 2000s (the lack of an existing, published mythology didn't help either), and I guess after the success of The 6th Sense, people were expecting big things from M Night Shyamalan's sophomore film (god, remember when a new Shyamalan was a source of excitement?). So the film kinda came and went without really leaving much of a mark, culturally speaking.

Personally, I think it's a wonderful, understated movie that really got to the heart of The Superhero. Not any particular superhero that is, just the root meanings and concepts that make the genre more culturally universal and eternal than people might give it credit for. What did it mean to be a Hero, super or otherwise? The arc of the film was marvellous, the scene in the swimming pool a real clincher. It was also one of Bruce Willis & Sam Jacksons' finer performances, both understanding the roles and bringing the right balance of melodrama and humanity that later actors in similar roles perhaps didn't. Later films that examined the genre, like Kick Ass and Super, leant more towards subverting tropes, breaking against type and so on, but Unbreakable got Superheroes, and what they meant to people. IMO. :D

I think The Incredibles falls under the same bracket too: it's one of Pixar's best films yet again I think it came at the wrong time to leave the kind of mark it might have otherwise made. The recent'ish announcement of a long overdue sequel was happy news though; I am genuinely excited to re-visit that world & those characters. After the triumph of Inside Out, I can only imagine the kind of emotional depth and nuance Pixar might bring. Sorry if that sounds a little boring haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's hard to beat The Dark Knight, that's for sure.

That being said, I absolutely love both the first Avengers film, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Avengers was damn near perfect in terms of what I wanted from the film. It had great action scenes, great comedy, Loki became a brilliant villain (I thought he nailed it in the first Thor film, but he got even better in Avengers) and Hulk was used absolutely perfectly. I still get chills at "I'm always angry".

In Phase 1, I thought Thor would be the hardest film to get right, and I thought they did a brilliant job with it. In Phase 2, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy would be even harder to get right, and they absolutely blew me away. It was incredible. Great characters, great story, great comedy, and a hell of a performance from Chris Pratt. While the villain was slightly lacking and the ship battle at the end was a bit over the top, overall I thought they did an amazing job.

But... The Dark Knight has to take it for me. It has its flaws, but the story and The Joker are just pure and utter magic.

Edit: I'll also give an also-ran mention to Batman: Under The Red Hood. The vocal performances were somewhat lacking, but I thought the story played out brilliantly in animated form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Days of Future Past or The Dark Knight for me.

Honourable mentions:
    1st Iron Man film, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers.

This needs a poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The 2002 Spider-Man was good, Spider-Man 2 was great, less said about Spider-Man 3 & the reboots the better, though I thought The Amazing Spider-Man was great... Shame it was rebooted after 3. Hopefully we'll get a new villain for the Marvel reboot....

First Iron Man as well, the proverbial launchpad for the Marvel Cinematic Universe

First Avengers movie too, as said previously built up by the movies before it, after years of would it happen/would it not, Iron Man 3 for foreshadowing Age Of Ultron

Age Of Ultron for really causing the cracks in The Avengers heading into Captain America: Civil War

Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the lead in from Agents Of SHIELD

The Dark Knight - Ledger cast as The Joker = master stroke in casting IMO..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I'm surprised the animated batman movies aren't getting a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Another vote for The Avengers. Think this is what every comic book fan had in the back of their head when they wanted the books to be on screen.

X-Men: DOFP is my next favourite, the opening scene is great and find the story gripping throughout. Winter Soldier was unsuspectingly brilliant for me and is close behind.

Iron Man has to have a mention too as this was the one that basically kick started everything.

The last act in The Dark Knight brings it down a few notches for me. Stunning film but sometimes I prefer Begins over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

weemcd wrote: »
    Days of Future Past or The Dark Knight for me.

This was my immediate thought aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Batman Begins or The Dark Knight for me, both top notch efforts. Dark Knight rises has it's problems but it's still a very good superhero film.

For Marvel, I go Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Solider, The Avengers and Iron Man. All excellent films

throw in Deadpool and X men days of future past.

If push came to shove then I chose Dark Knight, it's one of the best films of the last 25 years (yes I said it.)

Advertisement