Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooks

Options
  • 22-01-2016 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Any ideas how to keep them off my feeders? They are going to break them! (they stole Jack's glasses you know)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Only thing I can think of might help is if you put some food on the ground, they would much prefer to be on the ground than on a feeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

That's actually a good idea, but I'd be frightened I'd attract more of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hang the feeders from elastic bands - worked for me. Some people use squirrel proof cages over their feeders to keep them out. Ground feeding will encourage them unless you can lure them to an area well away from the feeders but it's a lot of hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If bringing your feeders closer to the house is an option try that too. 10m or so made a huge difference in my garden!

yes they don't go on the feeders close to the house....only on my Goldfinch decoy device.. :-)

• Advertisement

my Rooks are in fact Jackdaws I rthink

n1dts0.jpg

Yes, attach elastic bands to those feeders and they won't like it swinging so much.

i'll get some Bungees....give them the ride of their lives. :-)

i'll get some Bungees....give them the ride of their lives. :-)

Very good. :)
    But seriously, don't use bungee cord as its too rigid for their weight.

In case it may help anyone, I swapped my big feeders over with the small ones and the Jackdaws followed them . I think they offer a better foothold to the birds, so it will be small ones from hereon in. (several of them are broken anyway, cheap rubbish obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I got a few of those squirrel proof feeders to stop the starlings snaffling everything and they work pretty well. They sometimes still go in but it's rare enough.

I also made up a starling and crow proof feeder table with a half sphere wire hanging basket cable tied on to one of those plastic drip trays that go under pot plants - primarily for the robins. It took a while for them to be comfortable with it but it works now.

I used another of these drip trays, this time without a cover for feeding the starlings and occasional jackdaws and rooks. I have it hanging from a tree and unfortunately as it swings a bit this seems to deter the blackbirds who refuse to use it - even with apples.

i'll try that, although I'd love to have Starlings....not had one in the garden so far, although I have seen them out in the field at the back.
    Currently swamped with Chaffinch, who have learned to use the feeders but mostly forage on the ground. Goldfinch having a field day because I spilt the Nijer seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I've been feeding them one side of the garden all winter - two mugs of dog nuts every morning.

I feed the little ones the other side. Big fellas leave little fellas alone, though little guys are close to house.

This is first time I've ever fed Crows all winter, I'd nearly rather it. They near come to me now lol. Little fellas run run run away.

Advertisement