Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap of 1947 and 1963

Options
  • 22-01-2016 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

Is it too late in the winter for something similar to develop ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

No not to late. But they where no where near a snap :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It would have to happen by the 3rd week of February, after that it starts getting progressively more difficult for an easterly to be decent. Usually March events just about have the power to have snow showers by night and sleety showers by day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

My dad remembers 1963 very well.
    The feale in Kerry was frozen over for nearly 2 months.

The mudflats in the Shannon estuary were amazing looking too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have seen snow as late as May, if we are going to get very cold weather, I hope it happens soon and not when one wants to see warmer Spring weather.
    No one knows but as Reckless Abandonment said the years you mentioned were far more than a cold snap. Tales of people burning furniture in 1947 to keep warm as all the loose wood was under several feet of snow, and the length of that event would make 2010 late November/December event look short.

I read that book the Artic siege,it's exciting and intense reading.

Well worth picking up in a bookshop.

I read it twice, I pick it up around the end of November.

Like fantasy island but it really happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the latest I saw snow was early June back in 1986, I was in sixth class at the time and it was around 10am we had a brief 5 to 10 minute snow shower, the entire class stopped none of us could believe our eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Yeah both were prolonged cold snowy spells, not snaps

There is absolutely no sign of anything occurring like that in the near future
    Even the strat warm event couldnt have any effect until march

There were week long snow events in march in my lifetime, one of which was in 1978,every bit as good as any week long event before it
    That one froze water pipes galore as many days were sub or near zero during the daytime never mind at night
    That's sea level Arklow
    So it can happen, utter nuisance at that stage and all as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Did we not have a massive cold snap last week? Over 100 pages longðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The way this winter is unfolding, i have a feeling we are going to get a very cold March.

on the subject of cold snaps, when was the last time we had a widespread blizzard at sea level? i would imagine such events are quite rare.

Sorry about saying snap in my op.
    Big freeze I think is the word to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The way this winter is unfolding, i have a feeling we are going to get a very cold March.

on the subject of cold snaps, when was the last time we had a widespread blizzard at sea level? i would imagine such events are quite rare.

IIRC the biggest snowfall this country ever knew was March 31 -> April 3rd 1917.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have seen snow as late as May, if we are going to get very cold weather, I hope it happens soon and not when one wants to see warmer Spring weather.
    No one knows but as Reckless Abandonment said the years you mentioned were far more than a cold snap. Tales of people burning furniture in 1947 to keep warm as all the loose wood was under several feet of snow, and the length of that event would make 2010 late November/December event look short.

It looks like happening into Spring!!!!!!

Advertisement