Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldives

Options
  • 22-01-2016 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi
    I am going on my honeymoon to sun island Maldives in September and wondering has anyone been there. I was wondering is it expensive to eat in the restaurants as we only have bed and breakfast and is alcohol expensive in the bars. Are the water activities expensive to. Also what currency would I need over there. Any information much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 GabbyJay

Yes it's very expensive. Until recently, foreigners were only allowed to visit resort islands, so in most cases your honeymoon will be on an island which is run by 1 resort with nothing else. The resort knows that you have no choice but to accept their high prices.

Restaurant: expensive, alcohol is very expensive. Maldives is a strict muslim country, so it's nothing like other countries in the region, there are no "bars" as such, mostly just what the resorts provide.

Also, because you are also organising activities through your resort, they raise the prices there too. So you can expect to pay way over the odds for water activities (excluding kayaking and snorkling which should be fairly cheap because there's always a nice reef nearby).

Having said that, in the last couple of years there have been some kind of budget tourism market opened up. The government allows you to go to islands that are populated by locals, so there are guesthouses and you can participate in the same kind of activities as the resort, but at a fraction of the price. However, it might be difficult for you to access this side of the country if you are trapped on your luxury resort island.

One other thing to be aware of is that you may have to take a water plane from the airport when you land. The water plane can be very expensive. The 20 minute flight on the water plane was more expensive than my 5 hours flight to Maldives.

Advertisement