Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out of interest...traditions

Options
  • 21-01-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

So, I'm just curious as to what traditions were drilled into you all as kids that you still do out of reflex (or indeed, don't do anymore, but remember doing)?

For my part, although my Irish is rubbishing, I can rattle off the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary in Irish (although I can no longer recite the Glory Be). I don't know if the words I'm saying actually make any -sense-, they were rote-learned and so it's really just a series of sounds I'm saying. But yeah, if someone leaped out of a church with a gun and demanded I say the Lord's Prayer as Gaeilge, I could give a reasonable approximation (albeit probably in a rather high-pitched voice).

I could say those three and the Nicene Creed in English (although I still get caught on the word-changes in the latter).

On entering a church, I do still reflexively genuflect to the tabernacle, same when leaving. My knees are apparently still good little Catholic knees.

I no longer cross myself when passing a graveyard or a church. Not least since I lived right by one when I was in England and there seemed to be miles of graveyard in that whole area, so I'd have been crossing myself constantly if I'd kept that up!* I might cross myself if a very obviously Catholic funeral's passing, mostly out of respect for the mourners.

I avoid taking Communion these days if I have to be in Mass. Tbh, since I do not currently meet the criteria for accepting it, it feels disrespectful to. I appreciate my positions are somewhat hypocritical in what I'll do or not do to keep people happy, but hey, I'm only human.

So then, what are your ingrained reflexes or what have you trained yourself out of?

*I once crossed myself automatically as an ambulance was passing in England and got some very odd looks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I still go to the pub on Sunday after the time I would have gone to mass, and then I go home and go mad if the dinner isn't ready on the table.

Sometimes the old ways are best...

/may only be kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Samaris wrote: »
    My knees are apparently still good little Catholic knees.

I avoid taking Communion these days if I have to be in Mass. Tbh, since I do not currently meet the criteria for accepting it, it feels disrespectful to. I appreciate my positions are somewhat hypocritical in what I'll do or not do to keep people happy, but hey, I'm only human.

So then, what are your ingrained reflexes or what have you trained yourself out of?

Leaving aside the obvious double-entendres... :p

But yeah, this was popular quite a few years back when I made my First Communion -

Communion on the tongue while kneeling

Thankfully died out since. I'm not sure if I knelt down now I'd be getting back up, knees are shot t'fcuk! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

They probably wanted to avoid being on your knees while sticking your tongue out as you wait for the priest to put some flesh in your mouth :pac:

I still do Christmas, but its more of the pagan parts while I sleep during the Christian parts (mass)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

They probably wanted to avoid being on your knees while sticking your tongue out as you wait for the priest to put some flesh in your mouth :pac:

I still do Christmas, but its more of the pagan parts while I sleep during the Christian parts (mass)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Hah, yeah as regards the kneeling for Communion; I still see that in some more rural churches, or at least the pews up in front of the altar. It was never a thing in the one I grew up near. I figure it works better with smaller congregations, since it's mostly the older folk and young children that do it anyway, and it'd make it all take much longer if there's a tailback because backs keep locking up.

Also, I'd pity the priest after a bit with all the stooping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All these repeated answers, beginning to get a holy kind of vibe off the thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Bah, I didn't see that one go in twice. I've been having to delete half my posts today as they all are doubling up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I'm incapable of swearing in my parents house. And I still call my friends parents by their title and surname, despite 30 odd years of being told I can now use their given names.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Peace be with you

AND ALSO WITH YOU... I mean, and with your spirit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I was more interested in piseogs and the pagan traditions.
    My grandmother died in 1987 she was probably more pagan than Christian.
    She had all these old beliefs and wasn't impressed with the church tbh.
    She thought they were selfish money grabbers.
    Instinctively pagan I more than likely am,quite content in my ways.

Instead of worshipping any God I'm more grateful with my lot and contently miserable,happy,melancholy,ecstatic.....

Human lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I read this thread this morning and ever since my brain has been playing the bonkers religious songs we had to sing over and over in primary. I'll always know the name of the 12 apostles but only when remembered and sung in this order: "There was Peter and Andrew, James and John, James the Less and his brother Jude. Philip and Bartholemewwww, Simon and Andrew too, Judas Iscariot. There was Thomas and that's the lot." Followed by "Once while out upon the sea, A storm blew up so suddenly, The apostles thought that they might drown, But Jesus calmed them down.."

Also the Moses one starting with; "In the Bible I'm supposin that the people they were chosin......"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I have this thing about saluting magpies and touching wood. I do it out of hope, and an irrational nod in the general direction of luck (which I don't believe in, but still subscribe to, clearly :( ). For a died in the wool atheist such as myself, it disturbs me that this habit was so easy to acquire and that I'm reluctant to slap myself on the wrist over it. I liken it to the habit of lighting a fag when I'm stressed - it changes nothing and is a crutch I allow myself for no rational reason. Still though....doesn't make sense, eh?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Shrap wrote: »
    I have this thing about saluting magpies and touching wood.
    One of my family rellies - not Popette :) - used to do the same. I'm not sure she'd have bought into Skinner's famous experiment, even though she'd have enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Shrap wrote: »
    I have this thing about saluting magpies..
    Is this like a sloppy American style salute, or a full heel-clicking nazi salute?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

recedite wrote: »
    Is this like a sloppy American style salute, or a full heel-clicking nazi salute?

It's a one finger raised off the steering wheel salute, or a nod in it's general direction if I'm not driving. Actually, I don't salute them in my garden, I've just realised. Maybe because they're little ******** who steal hen's eggs.....

I try and keep my heel-clicking to the bedroom ;)

Advertisement