Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL question

Options
  • 21-01-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have a quick question about VDSL and I aid here was the place to ask so here it goes. My local exchange is being upgraded to fibre and will be live within 3 months.

Currently I'm on ADSL (8MB) which is pretty slow as you can imagine. My question is on the openeir map it says the Fibre cabinet is being build directly beside the exchange. Does this mean anyone wanted fibre in the exchange area will be getting fed of this cabinet or how does it work?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Rebelkid wrote: »
    My question is on the openeir map it says the Fibre cabinet is being build directly beside the exchange. Does this mean anyone wanted fibre in the exchange area will be getting fed of this cabinet or how does it work?

If you're within 1.5 kms of the exchange (phone line route) you will get efibre (eVDSL/exchange-launched VDSL), 2 kms if they enable vectoring at the exchange. Beyond those distances you're stuck with ADSL (8 Mb) or ADSL2 (24 Mb) if they decide to upgrade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

What about roadside cabinets or will it just be one cabinet beside the exchange?

What about roadside cabinets or will it just be one cabinet beside the exchange?

Depends on what plans eir have for any particular area, some areas will only be direct fed from the exchange other areas will be fed from new or existing roadside cabs.

If they were going to implement roadside cabinets how long after the initial upgrade at the exchange would the roadside ones be active?

If they were going to implement roadside cabinets how long after the initial upgrade at the exchange would the roadside ones be active?
    Again that depends on open-eir's plan for your area. Check out the NGA fibre broadband network map in that link for their plan at your location, planned cabs, FTTH etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like from the OP that the map only shows one "cab", this likely means that if there are any more copper cabs around the village/town they arent worth doing.

FTTH 2017-2020 for real speed, congestion will disappear when it goes NGA/NGN.

Ah I see, thanks for that clarification lads. What bugs me is when I do a line check with efibre it says it will be available within 3 months. As you stated above on the openeir map currently for the Lombardstown exchange there is only one cabinet being built.

What bugs me is when I do a line check with efibre it says it will be available within 3 months. As you stated above on the openeir map currently for the Lombardstown exchange there is only one cabinet being built.

Yes, the only cabinet planned for Lombardstown (LBN1_E01) is in the exchange, the E in the exchange code, a roadside cab would be designated _001, _013 etc.

The good news for anyone living within 1.5kms of the exchange, up to 70 Mb should available within the next 6 weeks according to this eir retail map - https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

Do any of the planned FTTH Rural Fibre Routes (blue lines) on the eir NGA fibre broadband network map pass by your house?

No nearest "blue line" stops roughly 300m away. Would it be just eir bullsh**ting for the site to say that it should be available in 2-3 months? Even though I'm 2.5km away from the local lombardstown exchange.

No nearest "blue line" stops roughly 300m away. Would it be just eir bullsh**ting for the site to say that it should be available in 2-3 months? Even though I'm 2.5km away from the local lombardstown exchange.

The blue line ftth routes are planned for 2017-20, for those of us beyond the blue lines and too far for efibre (I'm 4km from the local exchange) the NBP is likely to be our only hope for fast broadband. FTTH isn't distance limited like adsl or efibre and can run up to 20km before amplification is required.

Our local exchange is in the same position as yours on the retail map, 6 weeks to going live for efibre services, fibre was run to the exchange last year but has a small problem in the run that has to be sorted according one of the techs working on the upgrade.

• Advertisement

The blue lines mean nothing.

ED E wrote: »

Of course they do but the question is whether eir will actually follow through on their plan considering they wouldn't give a the Dept commitment during the NBP process.

2uf4mdv.jpg

So will I get any benefit of Lombardstown being upgraded? My biggest issue is upload speed for gaming and Skype. I was told by Eir before that the only way I would get a speed increase was when the exchange was upgrade, but I guess thats month case. Currently on the 6144/384 profile which is pretty slow.

So will I get any benefit of Lombardstown being upgraded? My biggest issue is upload speed for gaming and Skype. I was told by Eir before that the only way I would get a speed increase was when the exchange was upgrade, but I guess thats month case. Currently on the 6144/384 profile which is pretty slow.

You'll probably be able to get 8 down 0.5 up with ADSL2+. After that its a nice long wait till 2020.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll probably be able to get 8 down 0.5 up with ADSL2+. After that its a nice long wait till 2020.
    Does it automatically get upgraded to ADSL2+ when they upgrade to fibre?

It should do +/- a few months.

Hopefully something so.

I'm currently with Sky Broadband, would it be anyway possible to get a 6144/512 or 6144/768 on the current ADSL?
    My stats: Down Up
    Line Attenuation 37.5 dB 22.0 dB
    Noise Margin 13.3 dB 18.18 dB

Not on the old exchanges, 7.1_0.3 is the max.

On 2+ you'll get 500k up, no higher.

Advertisement