Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 Bus drivers wanted

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Nomis21 wrote: »
    http://www.cv-library.co.uk/job/203441232/250-PCV-Bus-Drivers?s=100226&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

I called them on the phone.

They didn't want to say where the work was.

Any ideas...?

If I was guessing I would say that the NTA are looking for tenders for 20 Dublin Bus routes, maybe someone has heard they have won the contract and have started looking for staff.

They may want to re look at the legislation applicable in "southern Ireland" you can't work 50 hours minimum in this state the 48 hour maximum working week applies here. Also it says £500 a week i wonder do they mean pounds sterling or €500 ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I believe National Express, Stagecoach, Transdev and Veolia are among their clients, but they deal with smaller companies as well and at least one smaller company in Ireland has used them before from what I heard. They used to serve First but I believe not anymore. They train people up to become drivers as well so this may not necessarily be a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

They do still supply to first judging from their website

It's a funny advert for a few reason

50hours a week or more is illegal for a bus driving job

10 an hour ... is that euro or gbp ? Either way its not a enough

Advert is for people in and around the Dublin area. Why is it only on a uk job site ?

Also suggests it's Dublin bus contracts.

Working for an agency is never great (speaking from experience ) staff often giving last minute notice of work , not needed today sorry ! Can have hours reduced without notice and can often be told not to come back without having much of a reason

Either way this doesn't look very promising

Those testimonials are historical, from what they did work for them in the past I believe but they don't now.

They are more of a driver training school than a supplier of drivers from people I've spoke to, they take people without bus driving qualifications or CPC and train them up so they are ready to enter that world. That cannot be a bad thing when companies are having trouble recruiting drivers who are qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Patser

Just my own opinion, but I can see a huge bus driver shortage coming soon.

Unlike in the older days, where you get get a bus and truck licence more or less together, for the last 10 years at least you've had to choose one at the start, do seperate tests etc. The CPC has heightened this segregation of drivers, and imo there's been very few young bus drivers coming through.

Now Dublin Bus are so desperate for drivers they're willing to train you up if you show up with a b licence and theory test done, and that's only a recent restart of a training regime that was pretty much the only on the job trainers over the last decade.

They need these extra drivers as they're looking to start up more regular bus runs. BE are talking the same on 109, 103 routes. Other routes (as suggested by this ad) will be tendered out, meaning more companies looking for drivers. 24 hour services being mooted, more drivers needed. Tourism rising, coach tours, intercity needs rising - more drivers.

In the meantime I've heard anecdotally that they didn't take the CPC serious until it was suddenly legislation. So they've a huge shortage of certified drivers in all fields that is hoovering up a lot of qualified European drivers looking for good money, especially with sterling so strong. So hiring the Eastern European lad is suddenly tougher.

Construction business is doing well in Ireland too again, so qualified bus & truck drivers have alternatives.

So just a thought. All these extra services everyone is looking at, is anyone (except Dublin Bus) proactively training up drivers.

• Advertisement

That is what Meridian are, thy are a driver training school and CPC training school as well as placing staff.

http://meridiandriver.com/cpc/

That is what Meridian are, thy are a driver training school and CPC training school as well as placing staff.

http://meridiandriver.com/cpc/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Patser

Maybe but that ad makes no mention of taking people in for training. They are looking for drivers with a clear idea of the time you'll be rostered.

This isn't one of those ads you see under jobs, offering to train you (for a fee) to be a driving instructor. It's a clear placement ad.

Do you reckon in the future they'll be offering training and CPC? Will it be on the job like Dublin Bus? Or will they or others promise jobs after you pay for your training?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're just looking for bus drivers for the 250 route, guys.

They say the jobs start in February, there is no way any routes are going to be ready to be tendered by then, April was the timeframe I previously heard before the next update on tendering.

That makes me thinks there is going to be some kind of CPC training, since they don't say it's required, which makes me think they will train people and get them route familiarized which will take a few months, you can't just recruit 250 drivers and get them start in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

They say the jobs start in February, there is no way any routes are going to be ready to be tendered by then, April was the timeframe I previously heard before the next update on tendering.

That makes me thinks there is going to be some kind of CPC training, since they don't say it's required, which makes me think they will train people and get them route familiarized which will take a few months, you can't just recruit 250 drivers and get them start in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Its a weird ad, could be its nothing to do with Dublin Bus, as the contract isn't supposed to be awarded till April, so taking on staff ahead of an official awarding of the contract seems strange, also it doesn't mention needing a license, or CPC etc, at the same time its hard to see what else would need 250 drivers for a contract in Dublin, airport parking etc wouldn't be anywhere near that I wouldn't think. Even CIE tours wouldnt use that many drivers would they ?

Maybe it's the BE expressway plan that the unions are balloting on in BE, maybe BE plan on contracting it out or maybe it's a LUAS replacement service for the upcoming strike.

On the other hand it could be a fishing exercise to see how much interest there is at that wage as the best final offers are due in this month, maybe they want to see if they could fill the positions at that wage before they budget it into their final offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Patser wrote: »
    Just my own opinion, but I can see a huge bus driver shortage coming soon.

Unlike in the older days, where you get get a bus and truck licence more or less together, for the last 10 years at least you've had to choose one at the start, do seperate tests etc. The CPC has heightened this segregation of drivers, and imo there's been very few young bus drivers coming through.

Now Dublin Bus are so desperate for drivers they're willing to train you up if you show up with a b licence and theory test done, and that's only a recent restart of a training regime that was pretty much the only on the job trainers over the last decade.

They need these extra drivers as they're looking to start up more regular bus runs. BE are talking the same on 109, 103 routes. Other routes (as suggested by this ad) will be tendered out, meaning more companies looking for drivers. 24 hour services being mooted, more drivers needed. Tourism rising, coach tours, intercity needs rising - more drivers.

In the meantime I've heard anecdotally that they didn't take the CPC serious until it was suddenly legislation. So they've a huge shortage of certified drivers in all fields that is hoovering up a lot of qualified European drivers looking for good money, especially with sterling so strong. So hiring the Eastern European lad is suddenly tougher.

Construction business is doing well in Ireland too again, so qualified bus & truck drivers have alternatives.

So just a thought. All these extra services everyone is looking at, is anyone (except Dublin Bus) proactively training up drivers.
    Do I recall that in the last few years, Dublin Bus ran a recruiting campaign for qualified bus drivers, and got very few suitable applicants ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alan_P wrote: »
    Do I recall that in the last few years, Dublin Bus ran a recruiting campaign for qualified bus drivers, and got very few suitable applicants ?

They used to train applicants as part of a staging process for job interviews. Failed the license you didn't get the job. They stopped doing that a long time ago. As far as I'm aware, the last time Dublin bus advertised for drivers they had revert to this system, where they'd put the applicant forward for a lisence. They'd only do that if they weren't getting the numbers needed applying.

I find it a bit funny really, applying for a job knowing you don't meet the requirements for the job itself.

My dad is a driver for Dublin bus and he got in with their old process for training people up. But they do a lot of checks now as well to evaluate the driver and refresh thier training. Which they didn't seem to do for the first while when he started.

So its probably better for Dublin bus to do the whole thing themselves to get the drivers they had want. As much as they need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I find it a bit funny really, applying for a job knowing you don't meet the requirements for the job itself.

That's not quite the situation Dravokivitch.

The recritment campaign states the requirements fairly clearly.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Human-Resources/Professional-Bus-Drivers/
    Applicants must:

Hold a valid full category “B” Licence with no endorsements for minimum of two years
    Have passed the Driver Theory Test for D Licence
    Hold Learner “D” Permit
    Have completed the Driver CPC Case Study Test

Fairly clear ?

Followed by....

Additional Requirements:
    On completion of training you must pass a driving test for a “D” licence

The new campaign,which broadens the scope of the Recruitment Process recognises the totally different Proffesional Driving scenario which now exists in the Haulage and Passenger carrying industries.

With Drivers CPC and totally different basic Driving Licence scenarios now in place,the Recruitment & Training situation had to change to take account of the changes.

Additionally,the current programme which had a pre-requirement for applicants to possess a D Licence and Full CPC,allowed the fast-tracking of the training process as the basics were already in place.

Given that the Company had been operating under a recruitment embargo since 2008,it followed that there was a significant immediate requirement for replacement staff.

The new campaign is part of a far more "normal" recruitment process,which any large employer will have in place to cater for Natural Wastage.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was referring to the old applications process when i made that comment. My dad didn't have that lisence.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

I remember seeing the advertisement for drivers with Dublin Bus some time back - full cat D licence and CPC compliant... Then they ran an ad campaign targeted at female drivers - this time full cat B licence and theory test completed this campaign has now been put out to include anyone with B licence and theory test but I would be put off by the fact that you start off on a 4 day contract working Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday full weekend shifts for 12 months. That put me off completely from applying.

wedger wrote: »
    I remember seeing the advertisement for drivers with Dublin Bus some time back - full cat D licence and CPC compliant... Then they ran an ad campaign targeted at female drivers - this time full cat B licence and theory test completed this campaign has now been put out to include anyone with B licence and theory test but I would be put off by the fact that you start off on a 4 day contract working Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday full weekend shifts for 12 months. That put me off completely from applying.

And the sad thing about that is that 4 night shift is actually better than the main 5 day rota.

Try finishing at midnight or later on a Saturday night , off Sunday and back in at 5am Monday ? Might aswell not have the poxy day off

Or your week could be working monday, off Tuesday and working until saturday with sunday off. But some drivers will tell you its great because you get 2 weekends off every 10 weeks.

Woopdy doo.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

And the sad thing about that is that 4 night shift is actually better than the main 5 day rota.

Try finishing at midnight or later on a Saturday night , off Sunday and back in at 5am Monday ? Might aswell not have the poxy day off

Or your week could be working monday, off Tuesday and working until saturday with sunday off. But some drivers will tell you its great because you get 2 weekends off every 10 weeks.

Woopdy doo.......

What is stopping you from applying for the 4 day week?
    Its open for any drivers to go for, i know of one driver who is there close to 10 years who works on the 4 day roster, he asked and when a position became available he got it.

bruno1x wrote: »
    What is stopping you from applying for the 4 day week?
    Its open for any drivers to go for, i know of one driver who is there close to 10 years who works on the 4 day roster, he asked and when a position became available he got it.

When did i say i wasn't already on it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement