Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at Electric Picnic 2016

Options
  • 21-01-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hey all, hopefully this is in the right spot...haven't seen the question in a previous thread but feel free to let me know if the info is already out there.

I'm heading to EP 2016 (first time) and was wondering how the regular parking plays out? The site itself only says that info will be released closer to the date.

Question for you regular attendees is whether there tends to be enough parking for people coming in day to day? I'm planning on airbnb-ing somewhere within the stradbally/carlow area and driving in to the festival each day (probably before noon).

Is this doable or do the car parks fill up fast? Is there some secret option to book parking that i haven't been able to find?

Any info for this novice festival goer would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You cant book parking and most people are parked up for the weekend so if you are going in and out every day chances are you will prob end up down the back on the other days. Parking is free and its just a first come first served situation.

Electric Picnic thread is here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057489783

Id say this thread will be moved into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Ah no bother, thanks andreac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Be mindful of the rain.
    The ground gets soft very quickly and cars can easily get stuck, particularly at the entrance and exit to each field.
    They put down bark and rubber mats to help but some years people have to get dragged out by tractors.

There are loads of taxis servicing hotels in the area. Why not leave the car behind and get taxis?
    If there are a few of you sharing it won't be expensive, plus you can enjoy a few drinks throughout the day.

The queue for the taxi rank at the end of the night can be very busy right after the main stage closes each night. Plan to leave at the right time and you won't be waiting very long.

Be mindful of the rain.
    The ground gets soft very quickly and cars can easily get stuck, particularly at the entrance and exit to each field.
    They put down bark and rubber mats to help but some years people have to get dragged out by tractors.

There are loads of taxis servicing hotels in the area. Why not leave the car behind and get taxis?
    If there are a few of you sharing it won't be expensive, plus you can enjoy a few drinks throughout the day.

The queue for the taxi rank at the end of the night can be very busy right after the main stage closes each night. Plan to leave at the right time and you won't be waiting very long.

If we manage to find somewhere to stay within taxi-distance i'll definitely check this out, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

A better option would be to stay in the boutique camping, getting in and out each day would be a nightmare, as would passing through security multiple times, and is someone not going to drink all day at a festival to be the designated driver?

From what i can see of the boutique camping it's a fairly pricey proposition if you're only a group of two...

There's cheap two person tents in the boutique area but even then we'd need ground mats, sleeping bags etc and the price creeps up pretty quickly even for a basic setup. We've not got any useful camping gear we could bring unfortunately :(

As much as i'd love to have few drinks throughout the day i'll be the designated driver if taxis aren't an option. Wouldn't bother me too much but a few beers would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

You can book Pink Moon with a deposit now and pay the rest a few weeks before it. I highly recommend it. You can get a 2 man rainbow tipi for 275. Then as others said mats and sleeping bags are really cheap in the likes of Argos etc.

You guys are making a strong case!

We'll have second look at the camping options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I drove in and out every day in 2015, no issues with parking of any kind, you might be a bit further away from the gate but you'll always get a spot.

The only downside is needing a designated driver but the logistics of it were not an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louise.conneall

Hi all! I am a first timer at electric picnic & I too am wondering about parking. I am staying for the weekend but I'm wondering how far the parking is from the pink moon camp site? If I was to drive could I have extra bits in the car & pop back to it throughout the weekend? I'll be travelling from galway. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Hi all! I am a first timer at electric picnic & I too am wondering about parking. I am staying for the weekend but I'm wondering how far the parking is from the pink moon camp site? If I was to drive could I have extra bits in the car & pop back to it throughout the weekend? I'll be travelling from galway. Thanks!

You can of course. Try get into the green car park as it's nearer Pink Moon. There'll be lots of chat about this type of stuff in the main EP thread over the next few weeks. Hopefully a map leaks early like last year

That's great thanks! I think I'd like to have some extra stuff in the car instead of trying to lug everything onto public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't they just railroad you depending on the direction your coming, Abbeyleix, Portlaise, which would have all the south fired into the red and dub down then into green.
    Would be tricky enough get to green if coming from the south unless you drove up past portlaoise and then headed back down with the dublin traffic.

I'm in pink moon but should be in a car park by 12 on Friday, didn't think I'd have any hope of getting to green as coming from the south? Or have I it wrong?

That's great thanks! I think I'd like to have some extra stuff in the car instead of trying to lug everything onto public transport!

Absolutely. Anything you're not going to need on the Friday, leave it in the car and get it Saturday morning - split your clothes into two bags.

As per the above, you need to plan your approach to make sure you get into the Green car park - but looking at the map I think this is the natural route from Galway anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Guys, probably best to have these questions in the main EP thread, plenty of people in there who will be more than happy to help with directions and previous knowledge of where's best to park and how to get to the different car parks.

Guys, probably best to have these questions in the main EP thread, plenty of people in there who will be more than happy to help with directions and previous knowledge of where's best to park and how to get to the different car parks.

I disagree tbh.

There are 5,712 posts in the main thread, 95% of which are "I think band X are great, any chance they could be added??"

As a source of practical information on EP, that thread is absolutely useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Don't they just railroad you depending on the direction your coming, Abbeyleix, Portlaise, which would have all the south fired into the red and dub down then into green.
    Would be tricky enough get to green if coming from the south unless you drove up past portlaoise and then headed back down with the dublin traffic.

I'm in pink moon but should be in a car park by 12 on Friday, didn't think I'd have any hope of getting to green as coming from the south? Or have I it wrong?

I don't know for sure. We came in via Athy last year and went straight into the green car park with no issues.

It depends which direction you come from. We came back roads last year which brought us in closest to the green car park. Turned off in Monasterevin and came that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Synode wrote: »
    I don't know for sure. We came in via Athy last year and went straight into the green car park with no issues.

I'd neraly class Athy as dublin side..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Coming in from Athy will get you directed to the Green parking however it means you have to drive thru stradbally which can be seriously jammed. if you're coming from dublin get off at Junction 16 and that connects to R80, there does be a queue down to stradbally but the entrance to the car park is a good bit out of the town.

Thanks for all the great advice. What time does the car park usually open on Friday?

Thanks for all the great advice. What time does the car park usually open on Friday?

9 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Now that all the questions have been answered anout parking at the Picnic, what about farting at the Picnic, where best to do it. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In the lake I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    In the lake I'd say

Need to wait for the micturators to finish first.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Absolutely. Anything you're not going to need on the Friday, leave it in the car and get it Saturday morning - split your clothes into two bags.

As per the above, you need to plan your approach to make sure you get into the Green car park - but looking at the map I think this is the natural route from Galway anyway.

Sorry mate from North Galway myself - what route or turn off do you take to get to the Green carpark? Very confused as not normally designated driver.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Sorry mate from North Galway myself - what route or turn off do you take to get to the Green carpark? Very confused as not normally designated driver.

If you're on the M6, turn off at Junction 5 and the N52 in the direction of Tullamore.

That route should take you to the green car park but no guarantees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

If you're on the M6, turn off at Junction 5 and the N52 in the direction of Tullamore.

That route should take you to the green car park but no guarantees.

Cheers lad! Much obliged!

Advertisement