Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd then 1st and back to 3rd again

Options
  • 21-01-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Would it be ok to write the first and last chapters, about one character, in third person and the middle chapters about other characters in 1st person or would it sound too clumsy? It's all the same time frame but I want to differentiate in tone and mood between the people and circumstances involved and this seems to be a way of achieving that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It can be done but is hard to do well. It is fashionable at the moment to use different narrators, e.g. Girl on a Train, but it can be confusing and needs to be well-flagged to the reader by the chapter title or whatever.

Best idea is to write it and get a few opinions. If it doesn't work then you still have the plot and it wouldn't be too much effort to rewrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Thanks echo, it's not really the same format as Girl on a Train but I appreciate what you are saying about possibly causing confusion with the changes. It should be easier to see when I have something significant written and I can get some opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

twignme wrote: »
    it's not really the same format as Girl on a Train

I hope not. I fear its success means we are in for a rash of similar style books but the novelty may wear off quickly.

Well rest assured that if mine was lucky enough to ever get to be published, it wouldn't add to that painful rash :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

However you want to structure it, go for it. You never know in the writing what will come out.

Don't stifle yourself at the beginning of the process.

• Advertisement

Thaks DK, being new to this and also being someone who usually likes to plan ahead, I find this part of the process quite difficult. I've never been one to just 'wing it' but I'm sure the more I practice and realise that it can always be changed, the better I will get at doing it.

Advertisement