Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

censorship - does it mean anything anymore ?

Options
  • 21-01-2016 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

At the cinema it probably still does to some extent - at least to the point that someone else may have to make a decision about the appropriateness of whether your child can view what you consider OK for them.

But what about computer games ? My 10 yo is forever saying that his friends all play COD, GTA, Black ops etc - all 16+ or 18's. I know for a fact that a lot of them do.

A friend was telling me the other day that they were still traumatized from being "allowed" to watch The Exorcist many years ago when they were 11 - yet no one seems to bat an eye lid at 10 yos decapitating, mutilating characters in games. To be fair they don't seem ever to be the slightest bit bothered.

So are computer games ratings relevant or not? Does anyone think twice if their lad complains that they cant play GTA 5 but all they're mates can?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

One additional aspect you may want to consider when examining this topic is the extent to which the various mediums (e.g., games, films, etc.) want to reduce their exposure to litigation. By posting age levels, etc., before viewing or participating in a medium tends to reduce their risk as a form of disclaimer.

Advertisement