Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte1's My homeless family

Options
  • 18-01-2016 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Do you feel empathy for the family's or are they a burden on tax payers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I feel ashamed to be irish. What are we as a nation going to do to solve this . We can blame who we want but at the end of the day .....young children are living in hotels that are costing the state per week what should be a normal months rent .....this sh1te doesn't sit well with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Where are the fathers, why keep getting pregnant, have they no family to turn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

Lots of these families have chose to go homeless as they know that alot of funding is going towards homeless. This means they think it will be a quicker route to a council house.
    is 6 months in a hostel/hotel/b&b worth it instead of 10-15 years on the Housing List? Lots of people obviously think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

That girl Erica, I thought she came off as extremely well spoken and intelligent, and a fantastic and dedicated mother to her little girl. I would certainly feel for her, she works part time but just cannot afford to rent a place on her own so is forced into her situation while waiting for help from the council. A totally genuine case I think and fully deserving of any help she gets.

As for the others? Not a shred of empathy. Both simply playing the game, in my humble opinion. We had a 21 year old with two small kids and no way of supporting them, yet pregnant again but no partner in sight. No doubt he will surface from his ma's boxroom once the council house has been secured. A career welfare receiver on her first rung of the ladder. Then another young wan with two or was it three kids, this time with the tracksuit clad gold chain wearing man in tow. Why is he not out working and supporting his family?

These people are well clued up on the welfare system and are playing this like a game. I might come across as harsh, but it's these ones that make it even harder for the real genuine homeless people

Neil - you couldn't have said it better. Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

A lot of people say you shouldn't blame them, blame the system. And I suppose there is truth in that. The logic for them is:
    a) keep getting rent allowance and wait up to 10 years on the council list to get a house
    b) go 'homeless', and be put up in a hotel, then get a council house 6 months to a year later

And of course it goes without saying, option C, get a job and buy or rent your own place is obviously out of the question

I liked Erica, but to get over €1,400 for rent to a private landlord for only 15% of your earnings sounds like a bargain to me, makes you think the so call poor people in society are actually the richest.

Why doesn't Mr & Mrs tracksuits live in the country they don't have jobs tying them to the city, also save a fortune in the country no "plex"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A lot of people say you shouldn't blame them, blame the system. And I suppose there is truth in that. The logic for them is:
    a) keep getting rent allowance and wait up to 10 years on the council list to get a house
    b) go 'homeless', and be put up in a hotel, then get a council house 6 months to a year later

And of course it goes without saying, option C, get a job and buy or rent your own place is obviously out of the question

I'm doing option c. And can't afford to buy or rent a place because I'm paying childcare to do option c. The whole damn thing is setup to scrape the bottom of the barrel. No more no less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

littelady wrote: »
    I liked Erica, but to get over €1,400 for rent to a private landlord for only 15% of your earnings sounds like a bargain to me, makes you think the so call poor people in society are actually the richest.

Its still not affordable for for a single earning, single parent. I can't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

littelady wrote: »
    Where are the fathers, why keep getting pregnant, have they no family to turn too.

Don't blame the people, blame the system.

Its up to Joan Burton and her chums to change the SW system so it can't be gamed by those who aren't genuine.

Otherwise you're wasting time going after generations of scroungers without tackling the root cause.

Advertisement