Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Rooms

Options
  • 18-01-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello... Looking for advice on layout of new science rooms. We have been granted funding for two new science labs in our school. Plans arrived last week but the layout in the drawings seems very old-school.... 4 rows, 6 students in each row, etc. This is what we have already, as I'm sure many schools have. The fixed nature of the desks don't lend themselves very well to group work,etc.

Are any of you teaching in a school where you think the science room is particularly well laid out for all types of class?

I'd like to hear any advice or feedback any of you might have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Hi

We moved into a new school building last year. We fought for a different science lab layout. We have 6 islands with a sink and gas taps and then two student desks at right angles at each island. It is working really well. I can walk around the classroom and get to each student far easier than in the old rows layout. The student benches are not fixed so for theory classes they can pull the side benches out so they aren't looking side on. This was a layout approved by the department so it should be available.

In a private school I saw a layout that I thought I would have loved. The lab was in two halves. One half had tiered seating for lecture style teaching and the other half was lab benches. However I actually think ours is better. The tiered seating would make it very hard to get around students to help with calculations etc. I love the ease of movement and the flexibility of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Look on the education.ie site under school buildings and room layouts.

There are two possible layouts, the four rows or the 6 islands as described.

There shouldn't be an issue with switching one to the other once the budget isn't affected.

http://education.ie/en/School-Design/Design-Guidance/Room-Layouts.html

Advertisement