Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark raw tung oil

Options
  • 18-01-2016 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I can't find this stuff anywhere UK or Ireland, surely the US isnt the only place to supply this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

andy125 wrote: »
    I can't find this stuff anywhere UK or Ireland, surely the US isnt the only place to supply this?

Tell us what you need it for and we will offer no end of advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

Tung oil is readily available, could you not tint it with a spirit/ oil-based wood stain- something like Rustins or Colron wood dye. I often (lightly) tinted Danish Oil like this and had good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Oils are popular in the US where they have the weather to dry them quickly. There are better products available here and oils should never be use in the interior of furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

You could soak Alkanet Root flakes in Tung Oil which will give a reddish finish.

A 1 liter clear bottle, some root and a warm sunny window plus time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Fresh coat of Tung Oil laced with Alkanet Root.

12605273_1071850676171667_877471601332051193_o.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement