Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Pathé has an incredible catalogue of videos about Ireland's history.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So the Brits were nazis all along? :P

Nice videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Great Video's always interesting to see photos and videos from the Time

Just on a side note , given its 1922 and the video is called Guerrilla warfare and there's a Tricolour shown its highly unlikely to be British forces with a swastika on the vehicle .... might want to look at either the pro or anti forces.

The swastika was actually adopted by the Nazi party in 1920 but its use was certainly plentiful beforehand even looking it up I came across a laundry in Dublin called swastika laundry founded in 1912 and operated for 75 years

interesting read - http://comeheretome.com/2010/04/26/swastika-laundry-1912-1987/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Trizo wrote: »
    Great Video's always interesting to see photos and videos from the Time

Just on a side note , given its 1922 and the video is called Guerrilla warfare and there's a Tricolour shown its highly unlikely to be British forces with a swastika on the vehicle .... might want to look at either the pro or anti forces.

The swastika was actually adopted by the Nazi party in 1920 but its use was certainly plentiful beforehand even looking it up I came across a laundry in Dublin called swastika laundry founded in 1912 and operated for 75 years

interesting read - http://comeheretome.com/2010/04/26/swastika-laundry-1912-1987/
    Did Irish troops ever wear those hats though?

I know you can see swastikas at Jerpoint Abbey in Kilkenny too, dating from 12th century or so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Did Irish troops ever wear those hats though?

I know you can see swastikas at Jerpoint Abbey in Kilkenny too, dating from 12th century or so

They appear to be British forces with men who may be rebel captives or more likely men playing the part of 'prisoners' as the action looks quite staged for the camera. I'm assuming the flag represents a captured flag/war trophy from the IRA.

The swastika on the side of the lorry could be a unit identification device or simply painted on as a 'good luck' symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

In that final video around the 3 minute mark... Something resonated with me with those 2 fellas staring so curiously into the camera. Even while wounded and being treated, he and his mate couldn't help but stare at the camera, as if in a trance, almost hypnotized and by this new piece of modern technology. Yet here we are now, a mere 100 years later, everyone with a HD camera built into their phone and where such a thing as virtual reality actually exists! Our society is progressing so quickly, the whole things almost feels a little out of control!

It just felt weird to see someone directly from the past stare at you like that... almost like looking at a ghost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Can anyone answer this question in this thread from the military subfourm?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057550141

50 Years After (1966)
    Dublin, Republic of Ireland (Southern Ireland, Eire)
    GV. Crowds gathered in front of the Post Office building in Dublin, headquarters of the rebels, to mark the 50th anniversary of the Easter uprising 1916. CU. Pan, one of the veterans wearing medals. CU. Another veteran. AS. The Post Office building. Pan down to show President of Ireland Eamonn de Valera walking out to inspect Guard of Honour. SV. Dignitaries watching. SV. The President inspecting the guard. LV. The Tricolour flying on Post Office building. AS. Aircraft fly past. GV. Soldiers march past, & LV. LV. The President taking salute. GV. Armoured vehicles drive past saluting base.
    GV. Kilmainham jail where Easter uprising leaders were executed. GV. Crowd gathered in courtyard where the execution took place. LV. President de Valera places wreath against execution wall. CU. Plaque on wall. Pan to wreath. GV. Interior, cell block where the leaders were kept. LV. Cells. CU. Cell in which President de Valera was kept. Top shot, the President walking through crowd, & CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Can anyone answer this question in this thread from the military subfourm?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057550141

50 Years After (1966)
    Dublin, Republic of Ireland (Southern Ireland, Eire)
    GV. Crowds gathered in front of the Post Office building in Dublin, headquarters of the rebels, to mark the 50th anniversary of the Easter uprising 1916. CU. Pan, one of the veterans wearing medals. CU. Another veteran. AS. The Post Office building. Pan down to show President of Ireland Eamonn de Valera walking out to inspect Guard of Honour. SV. Dignitaries watching. SV. The President inspecting the guard. LV. The Tricolour flying on Post Office building. AS. Aircraft fly past. GV. Soldiers march past, & LV. LV. The President taking salute. GV. Armoured vehicles drive past saluting base.
    GV. Kilmainham jail where Easter uprising leaders were executed. GV. Crowd gathered in courtyard where the execution took place. LV. President de Valera places wreath against execution wall. CU. Plaque on wall. Pan to wreath. GV. Interior, cell block where the leaders were kept. LV. Cells. CU. Cell in which President de Valera was kept. Top shot, the President walking through crowd, & CU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Those are the infamous Black and Tans with the swastika on their truck.
    It looks like they are assisting police in a raid. The guy at the start of the video has a tan coat, but others have black coats, they weren't too bothered which they wore. Most wearing the "Balmoral" style hat. One guy crosses the camera with a rifle and he looks fairly nervous, so I wouldn't say that raid was staged.
    Gas to see Mrs. Doyle there bringing out the tea to the arrested men in the truck.
    The swastika must have been painted on as a lucky charm. It was common enough it seems.
    When you think about it, the St Brigids Cross is a form of swastika too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

recedite wrote: »
    When you think about it, the St Brigids Cross is a form of swastika too.
    Nah - not really.

The centre bit is where the crooked arms of the cross are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

I like these ones of De Valera testing a sea mine in Dun Laoghaire.

http://coastmonkey.ie/de-valera-detonates-bomb-in-dun-laoghaire/

Those British Pathe really are a treasure trove.

Dev was a great man for quality control.
    He personally tested every mine that we had, before going up to Teddy's for an ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

The swastika has an ancient history going back thousands of years and was regarded as a good fortune symbol until the Nazis thrashed it.

Advertisement