Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So confused about the "rules"

Options
  • 17-01-2016 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit of a hobby photographer. I love taking pictures, as we all do I'm sure, and have quite a large collection now. Lately, I've been thinking I'd love to try see if I sell a few just to make some extra cash (read: not become a primary income) to part fund a new lens or do a new photography course or something of the like. I don't expect I'll be getting rich or making that much but I'd like to try.

So I've been exploring my photos and trying to find the best of the best I have to print up and see if there is an audience interested in buying. As a lot of my interest is landscape, animals and buildings so I have a large collection of things that include sunsets or sunrises, castles, famous buildings and lighthouses etc. I mentioned the idea to another photographer I know and it was said to me if I was to try selling a landscape image that featured for example a castle I'd need to have a permit from the OPW or if I i took a nice pictures of St James Gate at the Guinness factory I'd need their permission to sell the image so forth and so on even if I took them from public roads/lands etc.

I'm pretty confused as I thought once you were on public land/roads you could mostly photograph anything (privacy things a side) but seems that taking the image vs selling the image are treated as different things. I would love to hear from anyone who takes and sells prints that knows what the deal is here.

Thanks for the time!

Advertisement