Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 730d Buying advice

Options
  • 17-01-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Hi guys . wondering if any of you can offer any advice for bmw 730d's the e65 facelift version (2005-2008) anyone had one of these . what are they like to live with ? anything to watch out for when buying ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Hi guys . wondering if any of you can offer any advice for bmw 730d's the e65 facelift version (2005-2008) anyone had one of these . what are they like to live with ? anything to watch out for when buying ?

I'm not an owner but am driving a 430D so I can talk about a 3.0 6cyl classic BMW engine. That M57 Engine in that 730D is a peach, a classic 6 cylinder that won major awards so you'll have a powerful, economical and reliable. That 7 series is a very good car, I can't see how you can go wrong. But maybe go over to Bimmerfest 7 series forum and ask there, they'll tell you.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Only thing that can go wrong is the same that can go wrong in any car, I.e. everything and anything. I don't find BMW to be any more or less reliable than any other brand really but slightly more expensive to fix, like for like, at independent garages. Main dealers way too dear don't go near them. But look at it this way, you are buying a 100k car for between 5 and 10k looking at the years you mentioned. Buy it at a competitive price and you should not suffer too much depreciation. If you don't suffer depreciation and have a relatively reliable car, ownership costs over 3 years will be roughly in line with buying a new small family hatchback on pcp probably a bit less. It will cost 5 grand to tax for 3 years (like deposit on typical PcP, this tax is the real killer for owning big flagships in Ireland but it definitely keeps their purchase price down) a little bit more on fuel depending on your mileage and there will be servicing/repair costs if you want to keep it right, insurance depends on your circumstances but will probably be dearer but now the good news you can offload that car at any time and you get the majority of the purchase price back.
    I have had 4 x BMW now, 2 3 series and 2 5 series all have been petrol so I can't comment on the diesel economy/reliability but get your car checked out by a decent mechanic and if all is good you should have great craic for a few years.

Advertisement